You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make catalina windows opaque

How can I eliminate window transparency!

I recorded a video with Photo Booth. Useless, because the crap behind PB showed through. I edited a photo with Photoshop. Useless, because the crap behind Photoshop showed through. Etc.

Seriously, all kidding aside, I've tried numerous searches. Most results show requests/solutions for adding transparency. Results with solutions for removing transparency have been dated and have not worked. I get it. I'm a troglodyte, left spinning in the turbulence as the hyperspeed bullet train of progress flashed past.

But might I still plead for mercy? Can someone point me toward a way to make my OS 10.15.x application windows opaque rather than transparent?

—wayne

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 8:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:26 AM

Is this for real? Sorry if I'm off base here, but this does not seem like a serious question... I'b bite, anyway.

a) Photo Booth will record what your camera sees, not the contents of your screen. How can it record anything that is behind it?

b) I have edited many images, not much in Photoshop, but in Pixelmator, Pixelmator Pro and other programs and never have seen the transparency settings make it so that whatever is behind is seen through.

c) The transparency settings are set in System Preferences->Accessibility->Display

If you don't like what you see, perhaps you need to check this box:

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2020 1:26 AM in response to Scarabus

Is this for real? Sorry if I'm off base here, but this does not seem like a serious question... I'b bite, anyway.

a) Photo Booth will record what your camera sees, not the contents of your screen. How can it record anything that is behind it?

b) I have edited many images, not much in Photoshop, but in Pixelmator, Pixelmator Pro and other programs and never have seen the transparency settings make it so that whatever is behind is seen through.

c) The transparency settings are set in System Preferences->Accessibility->Display

If you don't like what you see, perhaps you need to check this box:

Apr 15, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

• My question might have been stupid, but it was serious. :-)
  • I do have the system preference set to reduce transparency.
  • The issue isn't what the camera shoots, but what shows up on screen. The background shows through the top window.
  • I've thought about it more and decided the best solution is just to look at critical images against an opaque black background.

So thanks! Issue resolved.

Apr 15, 2020 8:56 PM in response to babowa

Sorry, but I didn't find the screenshot. Basically, though, your reference to a shadow sounds spot on. The visibility of the show-through shadow depends on the color and opacity of what's on top, combined with the size, color, and opacity of what's underneath.

You know, it's like scanning a printed page and having to deal with the shadow image of whatever was printed on the other side of the page. Or like dealing with palimpsest in ancient manuscripts. I accept that most folks love transparency. I just want the option to turn it off and go my contrarian way. You know, not "Reduce Transparency," but "Eliminate Transparency."

Apr 15, 2020 9:14 PM in response to Scarabus

Sorry, but I forgot to post the screenshot - my bad!

You can see a faint blue and then a darker part to the front page (Mail app). And that was introduced as a "feature" a couple of OS versions ago. I was testing at the time and suggested it should be reverted to the previous look, but was told that it was working as intended (or: this is how it is).

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

Apr 15, 2020 8:26 PM in response to Scarabus

Apologies to all! I started looking for answers and trying suggestions on this issue about two weeks ago. Then, last week, my left eye was damaged (don’t know how). I had surgery last Friday morning to repair a torn and detached retina.

The surgery went well, but recovery will be gradual. I can speak with confidence about what I saw before the trauma, but now? I’ll do my best, but caveat lector!

make catalina windows opaque

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.