Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing songs

I've recently noticed that songs I've copied from CDs onto my iTunes library on my Mac have disappeared. I have no idea why this should happen. Is there some sort of time limit for such songs after which they're deleted from the library?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:03 AM

Hudds53 Said:

Disappearing songs: I've recently noticed that songs I've copied from CDs onto my iTunes library on my Mac have disappeared. I have no idea why this should happen. Is there some sort of time limit for such songs after which they're deleted from the library?

———-

Some Thoughts on Recovering These:

• Try iCloud Resync:

Sign out of iCloud, and then sign back in. It might take a bit for then to show up, but eventually the will, if they were associated to iCloud.

• Recover these from a Time Machine Backup:

You would start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac and its items from, should anything go wrong such as the loss of files (i.e. music).

• Recover these from a Music Library Backup:

Go Here: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support Note that you might need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan if not enough space resides for a Backup. Go Here: Cloud storage plans and pricing - Apple Support

• As for a Time Limit of Sorts...

If there is any sort of time limit issue. Time Machine Backups will overwrite one another once not enough space is resides. So, if you need to recover these, look for them in the most likely Time Machine Backup that would have these.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 1:03 AM in response to Hudds53

Hudds53 Said:

Disappearing songs: I've recently noticed that songs I've copied from CDs onto my iTunes library on my Mac have disappeared. I have no idea why this should happen. Is there some sort of time limit for such songs after which they're deleted from the library?

———-

Some Thoughts on Recovering These:

• Try iCloud Resync:

Sign out of iCloud, and then sign back in. It might take a bit for then to show up, but eventually the will, if they were associated to iCloud.

• Recover these from a Time Machine Backup:

You would start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac and its items from, should anything go wrong such as the loss of files (i.e. music).

• Recover these from a Music Library Backup:

Go Here: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support Note that you might need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan if not enough space resides for a Backup. Go Here: Cloud storage plans and pricing - Apple Support

• As for a Time Limit of Sorts...

If there is any sort of time limit issue. Time Machine Backups will overwrite one another once not enough space is resides. So, if you need to recover these, look for them in the most likely Time Machine Backup that would have these.

Disappearing songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.