Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

History of File Movement/File's original location

Hello.

So a day ago, after installing MacOS Catalina, I decided to run X-Plane 11. It contains various "mac.xpl" files(which are plug in files). When I started X-Plane, these files were blocked from running and I got a popup that said "mac.xpl is from an unidentified developer" and it gave me the option to move to trash. I forgot these files were part of x-plane, and I accidentally moved four of them to the trash. Then, I realized I shouldn't have since I messed with the internals of the software. I have taken these files out of the trash. However, I don't know where they go in my X-Plane folder. There's many subfolders, and they could belong anywhere. Many folders contain "mac.xpl" files. There was no "put back" option in the trash, because finder moved my files, not me. Is there any way I could find the files' original location? I tried checking system and console logs but I don't really know how they work and they wouldn't show me logs from when the file movement happened. X-Plane isn't working properly and I need to put these files back to where they were.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 5:22 AM

Maybe a Time Machine backup. You might be able to find those files in their original locations in a backup.

I don't think there is any other history stored short of the fsevents database. The OS uses that to track changes to files for things like Time Machine backups. I don't know how to read it, though.

Similar questions

2 replies

History of File Movement/File's original location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.