Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes.

My MacBook Pro keeps crashing when trying to go into sleep mode. I also keep getting the same error message:

Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 2:30 PM

Similar questions

48 replies

May 24, 2020 12:12 PM in response to cwewong

Have tried the same thing and it works, however it's not practical for me when I need to charge overnight. Have found that plugging it in to charge does not affect system if I have fully shut down my MBP.

Was told to try:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac 

How to use safe mode on your Mac  

I even reinstalled the OS, but realised after a few days of monitoring that the error only occurred when I plugged it in and left in sleep mode.

Apr 16, 2020 9:34 PM in response to christymitch

Hey All,

We found a fix for my computer. Turns out when I had transferred my data from my old computer 2 apps I no longer wanted came with it so I deleted them from my programs folder on the new computer, however, both still had a startup action that did not delete so the computer was crashing because these pieces of the original apps were not functioning correctly. We disabled them from the start up process while in safe mode and that seems to have solved the problem so far for me. The two apps were Garmin and FitBit. Good luck!

Apr 18, 2020 2:30 AM in response to christymitch

I have the same issue, I've got all the crash logs here. I also had an issue where the Mac would not wake from sleep without using the power button. I managed to get around that by disabling the screensaver.

My Mac was a fresh install, nothing brought over from an old Mac.

The stop gap fixes suggested by Apple (i.e. shutting down every time) are not good enough for a £3k machine.

Apr 22, 2020 4:49 PM in response to christymitch

My brand new 2019 MacBook Pro 16" running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 is having the exact same problem. This happened straight out of the box and happens every single time it tries to go into Sleep mode. It happens when the computer is unplugged from the power source as well as when it is plugged in. I have not deleted any of the pre-installed Apple apps.

The beginning of the Problem Reports usually says:

"panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff8006c91b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

Backtracing specified thread

Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address"

This is followed by a long string of what look to alphanumeric addresses.

Would be great if Apple could address this quickly.

May 4, 2020 12:22 PM in response to kristof461

What should I do? As I said before I had kernel panic panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011291b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes.

Had because after disable power nap and prevent monitor.... everything works fine. One disadvantage is that after hibernation I can turn on Mac only with power button. Anyway that’s fine for me. I can work with these settings. Anyway I have still opportunity to send it back. Time till Friday. What would you do? Return or not?

May 15, 2020 7:43 AM in response to christymitch

One month later . . . I am also having this problem. I am running a 2019 16" MBP on Catalina 10.15.4. Would like to hear an update from Apple about this issue! I have to restore my browser tabs and reopen any programs I have running every morning.

I have disabled power nap after reading this thread. We will see if it works.

Here is my error:

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff8004291b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

May 17, 2020 1:21 PM in response to christymitch

I have the same problem, bought a brand new MBP 16" i9 on the 15th of may. I really hope apple are working hard on fix for this. It should not happen on such an expensive macbook pro. It happens several times every day for me. Then I found this thread. I have taken the same action as suggested here and disabled power nap while plugged in to power adapter.

I hope it works. But will restore to default settings everytime apple release a software update to see if it has been solved.

Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.