Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make an app default to open on my second display?

I have two monitors on my desk, set up for the side-by-side alignment in the Displays options. I want to be able to set an option somehow for particular applications so that they default to opening on one display or another. Some of the older posts I've seen for earlier versions of MacOS mention an option coming up under an app's right-click menu in the Dock that can set this up, but that doesn't seem to be present in Catalina.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:53 AM

Hi Barney, thanks for the reply.

I do have the option checked for "Displays have separate spaces" in the MC System Preferences, and when I hit the MC button, each screen is defined as a separate "Desktop" (1 for the main iMac display and 2 for the second monitor, which is to the left). However, when I right-click the icon for an open app in my Dock, I still don't get any options for keeping it in one Desktop/Space or another.

Any further guidance?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 6:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney, thanks for the reply.

I do have the option checked for "Displays have separate spaces" in the MC System Preferences, and when I hit the MC button, each screen is defined as a separate "Desktop" (1 for the main iMac display and 2 for the second monitor, which is to the left). However, when I right-click the icon for an open app in my Dock, I still don't get any options for keeping it in one Desktop/Space or another.

Any further guidance?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Apr 15, 2020 6:39 PM in response to wrip

You must have "Displays have separate spaces" selected in the Mission Control System Preferences.

Then, you can assign an app to a particular display on that Desktop.

I don't know what you mean by "side-by-side" alignment. If you mean that act as one continuous display instead of two separate, then the two together are one Desktop.

How do I make an app default to open on my second display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.