Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV app to HomePod

Does the Apple TV app contained within Smart TVs such as Samsung and LG allow audio output to HomePod in the same way that the Apple TV box does?

HomePod, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 10:33 PM

I just bought a Samsung QLED Q70R that supports Airplay 2. Here's what you get:

1. You get an app that is basically the Apple TV+ subscription app. You don't get the functionality of an Apple TV.
  2. The Airplay 2 implementation is one way - DEVICE to TV. You will not be able to use your HomePod from anything on the TV. You will still need a physical Apple TV device for that.
  3. My TV is currently having issues recognizing the AppleTV through HDMI CEC and thus I cannot use the Samsung One Remote to control it. Not a big deal, as I use the Remote app on iOS anyway. Works great.
  4. The iOS remote app can turn on and off and control the TV no problem.
  5. The built-in apps of the Smart TV (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, AppleTV+) are slower and generally have more issues than those on the AppleTV device.

Hope this helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 10:33 PM in response to ScotlandsMostWantec

I just bought a Samsung QLED Q70R that supports Airplay 2. Here's what you get:

1. You get an app that is basically the Apple TV+ subscription app. You don't get the functionality of an Apple TV.
  2. The Airplay 2 implementation is one way - DEVICE to TV. You will not be able to use your HomePod from anything on the TV. You will still need a physical Apple TV device for that.
  3. My TV is currently having issues recognizing the AppleTV through HDMI CEC and thus I cannot use the Samsung One Remote to control it. Not a big deal, as I use the Remote app on iOS anyway. Works great.
  4. The iOS remote app can turn on and off and control the TV no problem.
  5. The built-in apps of the Smart TV (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, AppleTV+) are slower and generally have more issues than those on the AppleTV device.

Hope this helps.

Apple TV app to HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.