Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to de-activate autofill adjacent cells in Numbers?

Hi - I would be grateful for help on this problem.

I want to write the word 'June' into a cell and then copy it quickly into a number of adjacent cells in a Numbers table.

So, if I type 'June' into a cell, select that cell, click on the yellow dot and drag down over the cells where I want to add content the result is that the adjacent cells are filled with the words July, August, September, etc. What I want is June, June, June, etc.

I have tried deselecting 'Show suggestions when editing table cells' in Numbers > Preferences > General but it makes no difference. Also tried deselecting 'Automatically detect lists' in Numbers > Preferences > Auto-Correction to no avail.

There are a few work-arounds of course - e.g. just copy the cell, select adjacent cells and paste - but it would be much easier if I could just hold down a key whilst dragging to disable Numbers thinking I want to autofill subsequent months. I have tried all the obvious keys but none work! Any geniuses out there who know the answer to this simple problem?!

Thanks!

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 10:46 AM

When you type June in a cell, you may also notice that the text is shifted to the right side of the cell. That's an indication that Numbers has read this as a Date and Time value, and has completed the d&t string to 'June 1, 2020 00:00:00'.

Dragging that value down results in a series of dates—the first of each month, with only the month name displayed.

Instead, type 'June into the first two cells.

The ' tells Numbers 'this is text.'

The second, identical entry tells numbers 'This incremented list has an increment of zero.'

Select the two cells and drag the Fill handle down to produce a list of identical "June" content.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Dundee901

When you type June in a cell, you may also notice that the text is shifted to the right side of the cell. That's an indication that Numbers has read this as a Date and Time value, and has completed the d&t string to 'June 1, 2020 00:00:00'.

Dragging that value down results in a series of dates—the first of each month, with only the month name displayed.

Instead, type 'June into the first two cells.

The ' tells Numbers 'this is text.'

The second, identical entry tells numbers 'This incremented list has an increment of zero.'

Select the two cells and drag the Fill handle down to produce a list of identical "June" content.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 16, 2020 11:28 AM in response to Barry

Thank you very much Barry. That explains very nicely what is going on!

I see that if you type 'June' into one cell, select that cell and change the data format from Automatic to Text - the text then shifts to the left side of the cell - and then select the cell and drag the fill handle it still thinks the data is a month!

I'll use your solution though. thanks again!

How to de-activate autofill adjacent cells in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.