Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2012 - which upgrade is possible? Catalina?

On my MacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2012 Yosemite 2012 was installed. I did an upgrade to Sierra 10.12.6, because other programs asked for an upgrade. But office is still not working wel, and askes for an upgrade. So, what is possible? Is Catalina possible? Is this laptop strong enough for it? Or better Mojave?

And can I do it myself of better go to a Mac shop?

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:01 PM

Thank you so much.

Question: As I am in Sierra 10.12.6 now, what is best: go to High Sierra 10.13? Or to Mojave 10.14?

And if I go to Mojave, do I have to pass through High Sierra first, or in one move to Mojave?

I want to be as sure as possible that my Mac keeps on working well, in this time of online working. I support students, so the first thing is: my Mac has to work well, a lot of hours in a day.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 5:01 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you so much.

Question: As I am in Sierra 10.12.6 now, what is best: go to High Sierra 10.13? Or to Mojave 10.14?

And if I go to Mojave, do I have to pass through High Sierra first, or in one move to Mojave?

I want to be as sure as possible that my Mac keeps on working well, in this time of online working. I support students, so the first thing is: my Mac has to work well, a lot of hours in a day.

Apr 17, 2020 8:27 AM in response to LDDB

O.k, so yes, Office 365 now requires macOS 10.13.6 for updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/upgrade-macos-for-office-365-for-mac-or-office-2019-for-mac-new-updates-f18e459c-b164-4dd9-8bfc-effcf64dadd4?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

So yes, you will need to upgrade macOS. You can upgrade to 10.13 High Sierra or 10.14 Mojave if you don't want to go all the way to Catalina.

See here:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Also read here before updating your macOS version, and specially if you are thinking of going straight to Catalina:

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Any 32 bit app you have installed will not work in Catalina. So make sure any apps you need to be working are updated to 64 bit versions per their developer's instructions before updating to Catalina.

Apr 16, 2020 3:07 PM in response to LDDB

Catalina is supported on that Mac. However, depending on your version of Office, it will probbaly not work on Catalina. If you have Office 2011, or an un updated version of Office 2016, it will not work on Catalina.

What message is Office issuing exactly? Its possible its requiring an update to itself, not the operating system of the Mac.

Apr 29, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for all that information.

I first tried to go for High Sierra, but the try to download said the present exemple to use was broken. So i went for Mojave and I succeeded. NO problems. I have the impression that Office works faster, opens quicker.

But since the upgrade to Sierra, and this continues now (it just happened) the laptop closes all programs 'because of a problem' and opens again a minut later. I can not observe anything wrong, disturbed of blocked. Do you have any idea what this can be? What to do?

ALready thanks for your help.

lea

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2012 - which upgrade is possible? Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.