Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage Full But New Computer

I have a new 2017 MacBook Air with 128 GB running Mojave OS. I am getting notifications that the storage is almost full. Disk Utility shows Macintosh HD with 21 GB used, 94 GB other volumes, and 5 GB free. I have installed very few apps and have no documents, photos, or videos stored on the laptop. Activity Monitor does not show anything using an excessive amount of memory. What is on the other volumes? How do I free up storage space?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 10:08 PM

Are you referring to the Storage graphic in About This Mac, if so it is notoriously unreliable.

The problem might be that the Spotlight index has been corrupted and needs to be re indexed.

Read this article, How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

Having followed the procedure in the article to test if Spotlight is indexing,

click on the Spotlight icon in the menubar and type in a word or name of a file or folder that

exists on your mac, if Spotlight is indexing there should be a progress bar under the word you typed.

Tell us how you get on, as there are other things to try.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 10:08 PM in response to SilentScream50

Are you referring to the Storage graphic in About This Mac, if so it is notoriously unreliable.

The problem might be that the Spotlight index has been corrupted and needs to be re indexed.

Read this article, How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

Having followed the procedure in the article to test if Spotlight is indexing,

click on the Spotlight icon in the menubar and type in a word or name of a file or folder that

exists on your mac, if Spotlight is indexing there should be a progress bar under the word you typed.

Tell us how you get on, as there are other things to try.

Apr 17, 2020 5:44 AM in response to SilentScream50

SilentScream50 wrote:

I have a new 2017 MacBook Air with 128 GB running Mojave OS. I am getting notifications that the storage is almost full. Disk Utility shows Macintosh HD with 21 GB used, 94 GB other volumes, and 5 GB free. I have installed very few apps and have no documents, photos, or videos stored on the laptop. Activity Monitor does not show anything using an excessive amount of memory. What is on the other volumes? How do I free up storage space?

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

User tip: "Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

ref: https://eclecticlight.co/2020/04/09/where-did-all-that-free-space-go-on-my-apfs-disk/

Storage Full But New Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.