Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Mac in recovery. Reinstall Mac OS. Mac OS Catalina. 2018 13” with touchbar. Shows Macintosh HD. Click it. Click install. Not connected to power source. Click continue. Says the target volume is part of incomplete system and can’t be installed

Boot Mac in recovery. 

Reinstall Mac OS. 

Mac OS Catalina. 2018 13” with touchbar. 

Shows Macintosh HD. Click it. Click install. Not connected to power source. Click continue. Says the target volume is part of incomplete system and can’t be installed to. Click ok. Open disk utility. View all devices. Shows the boot and then the top is the drive container disk 2 and below that Macintosh hd. Click on drive. Say erase. Name untitled. Format apfs. Scheme. Guid partition map. Click erase. Put my password in. Erase process has failed. Couldn’t open device : (-69877). Operation failed. 

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 5:43 PM

You do need to be booted from another drive in order to erase the physical drive. Either from a bootable backup, a bootable macOS USB installer, or from Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode. I personally always erase the whole physical drive in order to refresh the partition tables as well.

If you want to reinstall the OS that originally shipped with the computer, then you either need to create a bootable macOS USB installer if it is listed in that Apple article or you need to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + Shift + R which should boot the installer for the original macOS which shipped with the computer or the oldest version of macOS still available to download.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 5:43 PM in response to Daniel Moilanen

You do need to be booted from another drive in order to erase the physical drive. Either from a bootable backup, a bootable macOS USB installer, or from Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode. I personally always erase the whole physical drive in order to refresh the partition tables as well.

If you want to reinstall the OS that originally shipped with the computer, then you either need to create a bootable macOS USB installer if it is listed in that Apple article or you need to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + Shift + R which should boot the installer for the original macOS which shipped with the computer or the oldest version of macOS still available to download.

Apr 18, 2020 10:27 AM in response to Daniel Moilanen

Daniel Moilanen wrote:

You only need to be booted from another drive if you want to erase the entire drive. I don’t mean that. I don’t want to mess with the recovery partition so I’m talking about erasing the rest. Not the entire drive.

What I meant was you cannot run the macOS installer from within macOS to erase the drive since you will be destroying the installer located on the drive in the process. I personally feel if you are going to erase the boot volume you should refresh the whole partition table just to be safe. I want to eliminate all possible sources of issues at one time when reinstalling. But that is my opinion and personal preference.

Booting into recovery to install the factory default is doesn’t work. It only has worked for a short time after the Mac came out. Otherwise it just installs the newest os which I do not want. I want to go back to Sierra which is what this came with I think.

There are three different key combinations for entering Internet Recovery Mode:

• Reinstall the current or last installed version of macOS (doesn't always work as intended and will sometimes install the oldest supported OS instead):

Command + R

• Install the original version of macOS which shipped with the computer (or the oldest version still available):

Command + Option + Shift + R

• Install the latest supported version of macOS (at the moment for your laptop it will be Catalina):

Command + Option + R

In my personal experience Internet Recovery Mode is broken for many systems and it will default to the original or oldest version of macOS still available for a particular computer. I've never had Internet Recovery Mode default to the most recent version of macOS, but I guess it is possible.

The option I highlighted here in bold (which I also presented in the previous post) should provide you the installer for the version of macOS which originally shipped with your laptop. In my previous post I also provided you a link to the Apple article for creating a bootable macOS USB installer for macOS versions 10.11 to 10.15.

I even want to go older and put on here last version with the 3D dock.

You cannot install a version of macOS older than what originally shipped with your computer.

Apr 17, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Daniel Moilanen

If you selected "Show All Devices" the top item should be the physical drive which should show up something like "Apple SSD....". I have not done this on a 2018+ Mac. I don't think any security settings will prevent you from seeing or selecting the physical drive if you are booted using Recovery Mode. Double-check that the "Show All Devices" setting actually took and wasn't accidentally cancelled due to trackpad touch issues.

Apr 17, 2020 3:48 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks. I did that. It always fails with the message I gave.

The only way to fix that worked for me was I had to time machine restore. Then I couldn’t log in my Mac because of the bug from Mac OS I guess. So then I restarted with command R. Then I erase the drive and it finally worked. No idea??? Then I reinstalled ok.

BUT,,, How can I do this easy when I need to reinstall in future? I want to erase my drive but not just a quick erase. I full erase. There’s always two drives. Macintosh HD and Data. Then the boot partition which has the restore on it. Isn’t there a way to just click on the drive and fully erase it? I’m talking about clicking on the top icon in show all devices. The top level of the drive I guess. I want to write over the drive when I erase. Not just quick. Not like write over it two times. Once is fine.

And how can I go back to the OS my laptop shipped with? Two versions ago. Not Catalina or the one before. But the one before that I think. And is it possible to put Mac OS X that has the 3D dock? Like the last version before Mac OS went flat.

thanks.

Apr 18, 2020 4:20 AM in response to HWTech

You only need to be booted from another drive if you want to erase the entire drive. I don’t mean that. I don’t want to mess with the recovery partition so I’m talking about erasing the rest. Not the entire drive.

Booting into recovery to install the factory default is doesn’t work. It only has worked for a short time after the Mac came out. Otherwise it just installs the newest os which I do not want. I want to go back to Sierra which is what this came with I think. I even want to go older and put on here last version with the 3D dock.

Apr 21, 2020 1:46 PM in response to HWTech

Hi.

I thank you very much.

I had to time machine restore. Nothing else I tried worked. So after I time machine restore I booted into command r to reinstall. I did erase drive and it worked. Keeping in tact the recovery boot partition of course.

I didn’t realize for a bit that older Mac OS probably don’t work on the newer hardware. I wasn’t thinking.

I agree that internet recovery can be problematic. Is there a way to make a boot partition with Mac OS to install from on the laptop internal drive itself? Then if I want to reinstall I can boot into that and install from there?

Boot Mac in recovery. Reinstall Mac OS. Mac OS Catalina. 2018 13” with touchbar. Shows Macintosh HD. Click it. Click install. Not connected to power source. Click continue. Says the target volume is part of incomplete system and can’t be installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.