Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All data loss.

Hello anyone.

I HAD macbook pro catalina 2018 15” and all what i did i just plugged my 2.5” WD external drive to my computer. Screen blacked out after this and pc died. Ok well i thought, at least i have a backup on that drive, i turned this drive to another mac and its grayed out in disk utilities and wont mount, first aid wont work too, converting to APFS provides a failure.

well i got windows pc wich can see this drive content with no issues can write and read but , all files of my backup folder are 0kb size. I just dragged backup folder 30gb size to another drive and plugged it to mac mini to roll on it my important backup but migration assistat dont see it :(

so i lost my mac 2000$ worth along with backup wich has at least 2 year actual work in... what can i do now ? :(

ps, repairmen told they probably fixed the macbook but its in DFU mode wich after reflash will wipe all data on disk (thanks to apple they added this option few weeks ago)

how Can i get my data, please, im in big trouble

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 7:12 PM

Within Disk Utility you may want to click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then run First Aid on the physical drive.

FYI, your screenshot on the left shows the drive is formatted as MacOS Extended (case-sensitive Journaled), but the screenshot on the right says "Journaled --- No".

You can try repairing the drive using the paid app Disk Warrior. Otherwise you should contact a professional data recovery service to retrieve the data from the external drive. Drive Savers and Ontrack both offer free estimates and both are recommended by Apple. Using Disk Warrior is risky, but it has always worked wonders for our organization over the years, but it DW fails it could make it more difficult for the professional data recovery service. You may only get one chance at recovering the data so choose wisely how you proceed.

Good luck.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 7:12 PM in response to aleksandrsfromriga

Within Disk Utility you may want to click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then run First Aid on the physical drive.

FYI, your screenshot on the left shows the drive is formatted as MacOS Extended (case-sensitive Journaled), but the screenshot on the right says "Journaled --- No".

You can try repairing the drive using the paid app Disk Warrior. Otherwise you should contact a professional data recovery service to retrieve the data from the external drive. Drive Savers and Ontrack both offer free estimates and both are recommended by Apple. Using Disk Warrior is risky, but it has always worked wonders for our organization over the years, but it DW fails it could make it more difficult for the professional data recovery service. You may only get one chance at recovering the data so choose wisely how you proceed.

Good luck.

Apr 17, 2020 7:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I used this disk for more than a year under MacOS only! i think paragon app allowing windows to see contents. I never formatted any data and i can see all files in Win but all of them are 0kb size. This is just for backup folder, all other data like pics and videos outside of backup plan are fully avaliable. Is there any method to make this backup work? Maybe this is because its encrypted?

Apr 17, 2020 7:29 AM in response to aleksandrsfromriga

If your Windows computer can read/write the external drive then the drive is formatted NTFS for Windows. The drive could never have been written to from your Mac without you using some third party app to allow using the NTFS formatted drive. If you were using the drive and it was correctly formatted for your Mac then you reformatted it to use on your Windows computer then all your data was deleted during the reformat.

Apr 18, 2020 1:46 PM in response to HWTech

I have some updates for today here.

macbook technicians tried to Revive macbooks Bridgeos and got 4005 error, but they found force touch to be working so something happened because before it was like dead, t2 chip is 28degree during the process.

most important part is about backup disk! Ive cloned drive contents 1:1 to another drive including file system in order to try repairing clone. After process finishing drive been discoverable!!! I went to migration assistant instantly and found my 2 year old backup from previous mac, in hope to find something in folders manually i left migration assistant but drive became unmountable and undiscoverable 🤷‍♂️ Keep trying from this end, hope i will figure something out

All data loss.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.