You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Approve with Apple Watch not working when lid on MacBook is closed

My MacBook Air (mid 2019) is constantly plugged into dock. I use external monitor to do work. Since macbook's display is tiny compared to the external monitor, I like to keep the lid closed. What I noticed is: Unlocking my Mac works fine regardless of lid position (open or closed).

Approve app always works if lid is opened, as shown on picture:

Both Touch ID works and I am prompted on the watch itself to approve with double click

But, as soon as I close the lid, this happens:

Graphics change to show that Touch ID is not available anymore, but shows that watch is an option to approve. Unfortunately, nothing happens on the watch.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Hi Corunir.

I saw someone else reporting similar behavior the other day. They reported that if they clicked away from the Preferences window (e.g., to the main Safari window) and then back to the preferences window, that the password prompt on the Apple Watch showed up. Is that happening for you as well?

This is an issue on which you'll want to work directly with Apple Support.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2020 12:51 PM in response to Corunir

Hi Corunir.

I saw someone else reporting similar behavior the other day. They reported that if they clicked away from the Preferences window (e.g., to the main Safari window) and then back to the preferences window, that the password prompt on the Apple Watch showed up. Is that happening for you as well?

This is an issue on which you'll want to work directly with Apple Support.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Cheers.

Apr 18, 2020 2:56 PM in response to Corunir

Hello Corunir and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having an issue unlocking you Mac with your Apple Watch.

How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

"If you're having difficulty getting Auto Unlock to work, try these solutions:

In Security & Privacy preferences, deselect ”Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac” or ”Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.” Then restart your Mac and turn this setting back on.

Make sure that your Mac isn't using Internet sharing or screen sharing."

Cheers.

Approve with Apple Watch not working when lid on MacBook is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.