Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Image Search extension in Safari

Why does this not exist? It's been years since the extension library was destroyed. The other Browsers ability to run worthwhile extensions like NoScript, Ublock Origin, Reverse Image Search, HTTPS Everywhere, etc makes Safari look like a silly toy. I only use Safari to browse Apple's sites like this one. Safari does not have the ability to run extensions to make it at least as powerful as Fire Fox is out of the box. Is it never coming back? Is Safari dead forever? It goads me.

Am I missing something? Is that Extension Gallery, the one that's a randomly order unsearchable list of money grab apps really the only way to customize Safari? I thought they would dismantle the old extension library and then replace it with a new one. Making a thick walled garden around Safari doesn't make anyone safer if everyone stops using Safari because of it. How can we end this?

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 12:17 PM

Update the your Mac to the latest macOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416

Then try Safari Extensions from App Store.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203051

3 replies

Apr 18, 2020 8:37 AM in response to noit x

So here's the deal if anyone is interested. If you're like me and can not live without a quick way to reverse image search on the fly it now costs nine dollars to do it. It's a good thing MacOS is free because it cost me about a hundred dollars this year to patch the deficiencies the've built into it. (FTP is gone, the Finder doesn't find anything, the extensions are gone, etc.)

Go to the regular App Store—not the Extensions Gallery; I don't know what that debate is for but it reeks of death and doesn't help anyone—search for "BackTrack". Pay the money, as much as it hurts to pay for something that was free forever (I've actually donated money in the past to a few of these plugin builders who are now blasted out of the sky).

The main thing is to ignore the Extensions Gallery from now on. As I said before it's a worthless unordered list of cash grab non sense. Worst of all it's not searchable. What kind of App repository is not searchable? It almost feels like it's not real. Like it's a joke Apple put up and forget to take down. It feels that way because that is exactly what it is. So ignore it and now remember you need to search for Safari add-ons in the regular App Store and treat them like regular Apps. I don't know why it doesn't say this anywhere, and even Level 9 dominic23 is confused about it.

It's insane, it's aggravating, it's expensive, but that is the state of Safari right now. I'm marking my own post as Helpful because I had to answer my own question. No one here and not even Apple Support knew the answer.

Google Image Search extension in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.