Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't install Mac OSX 10.13.6 on external hard drive

Hi,

I need to install Mac OSX 10.13.6 onto an external hard drive (my Mac Pro is currently running Mac OSX 10.15.4, so I need to roll back my OSX so that I can run Avid Media Composer 2018.12.3).

I've been using instructions from apple support (who unfortunately are now closed for the weekend, Australian time). I've downloaded OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and have followed their instructions to make an external drive an install disk for OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, but when I try to boot off this external drive as my startup, I'm told that the external disk is locked, and I can't use it to be install High Sierra (and I don't want to install 10.13.6 on my Mac Pro CPU - I want to keep it external).

Here are the instructions that I received from apple about how to create an external start up disk using an older version of OSX

Based on the details you provided, we think you might find the following information helpful:

Installing macOS on a separate APFS volume  

How to create a bootable installer for macOS  

and I've attached a screen shot of the external disk showing as being locked when I try to install 10.13.6 onto the external hard drive that I've created to do this

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 7:41 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 17, 2020 8:23 PM in response to ZillaB

I suspect you need to format the target disk.

Drive Preparation - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Erase button in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

You must not format the target disk using APFS because High Sierra cannot use it as a bootable disk.

Apr 18, 2020 1:51 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks @Dialabrain, this was the missing step! Weirdly I had three apple support technicians advising me on this on the phone, including a senior apple support technician who had logged into my computer remotely to oversee the formatting of my external drive, knowing what it's for, and yet none of them thought to mention setting up the boot installer on another volume (USB flash drive).

It's working now!

can't install Mac OSX 10.13.6 on external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.