Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing encrypted SSD in recovery mode

I’m currently erasing my encrypted SSD in recovery mode in OS X Catalina on iMac 2020.

I read that I need to select ‘unlock volume name’ from the file menu in Disk Utility after selecting the disk to be erased, and enter my password or encryption key.

However I now discover there is no such option in my file menu.

How should I proceed?

If I continue with erasing my Macintosh HD (APFS Encrypted), will the erased drive remain encrypted and non readable?

Anyone able to help with this situation?

Many thanks,,

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 1:46 AM

Hi,

You can continue to erase your disk as usual and will be able to select what format you wish to erase it to.

I would choose the standard APFS (not the encrypted on) and then turn on FileVault at a later date if you wish to encrypt it.

Thanks.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 18, 2020 6:10 AM in response to Brallen01

Hi Brallen,

thanks again for the clarification.

Understood.

It is the encrypted partition that I am referring to. Not the actual SSD.

Partitioned thus:

Volume name: Macintosh HD (Encrypted) +

Volume name: Macintosh HD - Data (Encrypted)

This is how the the partition is described in Disk Utility.

What is still unclear to me is whether the standard erase of these (encrypted) partitions, will leave the erased DATA in an encrypted state.

Cheers,

miMac

Apr 18, 2020 6:34 AM in response to miMac2020

The standard erase removes the entire partition. when a partition is erased all data within that partition is removed as well, regardless if it is encrypted or not. You're then left with a blank slate.

I think I get why you think there may be some "encrypted state" left. However, imagine it as you've thrown a bottle of water away, you wouldn't be left with the water on its own, the whole thing would be gone.

cheers.

Erasing encrypted SSD in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.