Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off "New Version" notification for an app?

I am using quite an old generation of the iPad -- Generation 2 but I am wondering how I can stop the "New Version" notification from appearing? Everytime I try to go to update it doesn't let me anyways because it's just an iPad 2. How do I turn it off?

More specifically this is for an app.. It keeps saying "New Version: There is a new version of Sling TV available", and it doesn't give me the option to just simply close it.

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:21 AM

This is a System-level notification of iOS/iPadOS. If an App update is detected and available, you will always see this system notification and associated “badge” on the App Store icon.

Disabling Automatic App updates can dissuade your iPad from automatically detecting an update - but once detected, the notification will remain until the update is applied. This does, of course, present a visual annoyance for older hardware that will not accept updated binaries due to incompatibility with the iPad.

I hope this information is, in some way, helpful to you - if only in clarifying the root cause and effect.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 5:21 AM in response to sghosn1

This is a System-level notification of iOS/iPadOS. If an App update is detected and available, you will always see this system notification and associated “badge” on the App Store icon.

Disabling Automatic App updates can dissuade your iPad from automatically detecting an update - but once detected, the notification will remain until the update is applied. This does, of course, present a visual annoyance for older hardware that will not accept updated binaries due to incompatibility with the iPad.

I hope this information is, in some way, helpful to you - if only in clarifying the root cause and effect.

Apr 18, 2020 5:59 AM in response to LotusPilot

But it will only tell you if there is a new compatible version. So if the device is maxed out at 9.3.5 the iPad won’t remind people to update to something they can’t install. I don’t receive app update reminders for my ipad 2 because it rarely gets an app update anymore. Whereas it can be common, after a major iOS update, to all of a sudden have your ‘before the update up to date apps’ all of a sudden needing to be updated with a flurry of red badges.

It is, however, quite common for app developers to inform users that there’s a better newer version of their app available with little to no regard if the person’s device can actually run that app version.

Apr 18, 2020 9:01 AM in response to Skydiver119

In theory maybe - but not in practice. The OP’s observation/complaint is correct.

Within reach, I have a least one example of a device with iOS 9.3.6 that exhibits this very problem. An installed App has been updated by the Developer, but support for iOS9 has been dropped. The App Store App (and associated red notification badge) indicates an available update.

The only way to remove the notification is to uninstall the App - which cannot be re-installed as the binaries have been withdrawn.

How to turn off "New Version" notification for an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.