Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange iPhone 8 for SE II

I just purchased an iPhone 8 and a few weeks later Apple released the SE II. What are the chances that Apple will do an exchange past the 15 day limit but within a month? I wasn't expecting any product releases until the fall and had no idea they were discontinuing the 8 at the same time as I was buying it. I feel as if I've been misled!

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 7:16 AM

13 replies

Apr 26, 2020 7:27 AM in response to deggie

UPDATE:

I called Apple on Monday and they told me they have a exception where you can generally return an item up to 30 days later with a valid reason. Unfortunately, I was now just beyond 30 days however, they would have a manager call me later in the week.

So today the manager called me "No problem, we can do that for you" and they will even wait until I receive my my new SE II (black, 256 which I had already ordered) and is due May 12-20. I jost pop a prepaid label on my 8 and I will get a full refund.

How AWESOME is that?!

Apr 18, 2020 7:22 AM in response to CityStay

So Apple told you they weren't going to release anything new and then did so anyways. Can you point to something where they said this? Do you remember when the original iPhone SE was released?

It is actually a 14 day return period and you are well past that. I think your best bet would be to try to sell your iPhone 8 privately and then use those funds to purchase the SE 2020.

Apr 18, 2020 7:29 AM in response to deggie

Well it would have been nice if they had told me to wait 3 weeks as they're coming out with a new model at the same price. I obviously would have opted for the SE II over the 8. I'll just call them when they're open and see what they say. Was just wondering if they are known to make exceptions for loyal customers.

Apr 18, 2020 7:33 AM in response to CityStay

You are under the mistaken conception that the Apple employee you dealt with in purchasing your iPhone had been told that there was a new iPhone SE coming. That is not the way Apple operates, they are more secretive than most government spy organizations. Retail employees find out about new product releases about a day before they are released.

You may be waiting another month before any stores open. I would suggest you call Apple now and discuss it with them. Do not be surprised it they say no.

Apr 18, 2020 7:43 AM in response to CityStay

I'm not sure what was snide in my remarks and your assumption that employees knew about the new iPhone and misled you clearly shows you aren't familiar with how they operate.

In my experience Apple will allow you to return it if you purchased it 14 days (or less) prior to the announcement. Past that they will suggest your trade-in your iPhone 8 towards the new one.

Exchange iPhone 8 for SE II

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.