Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Change the Finder 'Kind' groupings

It should be simple but I just cannot see it.

Sort by kind lumps all sorts of files under 'Developer' ... I cannot discover how I can set what is a 'developer' file, how I can define whether I am 'Coding Developer' 'Web Developer' 'Graphics Developer' etc. Everything seems to be abandoned there, or in 'documents' or in 'other' etc. etc.

I would like to

1. Change where a file type appears
  2. Add my own 'kinds'
  3. Do this for my Mac ... not by typing into a search box each time ... or saved searched ... or spotlight (OK ... do not use the last one!)

fiThanks.

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 8:58 AM

Where are you hoping to do this, in the column View in the Finder (?)— your options here are limited.

You do not have the API to micro manage these returns.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

I can say if you hold the Command key in Spot Light search return—you can see the complete path

You can make suggestions here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 8:58 AM in response to Folbo

Where are you hoping to do this, in the column View in the Finder (?)— your options here are limited.

You do not have the API to micro manage these returns.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

I can say if you hold the Command key in Spot Light search return—you can see the complete path

You can make suggestions here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Apr 18, 2020 10:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you.

Yes I cam in the column view ... which has its issues ... when I am trying to filter, cand clear the filter, the columns widths are being lost ... must nee me ...

At least I know that user control of sorting by kind cannot be done ... I will try the feedback bin. Even sort by file type would nee more useful; than this ...

How do I Change the Finder 'Kind' groupings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.