Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library

iTunes keeps changing my revised iTunes Directory location on an external drive back to its original default location every time I restart iTunes. How can I make this directory change permanent?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 10:28 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 20, 2020 10:26 AM in response to t257daf

Hello t257daf,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re trying to change your iTunes Library location and the changes revert when you close iTunes. I’m happy to help.

To start, make sure you’ve followed the steps below:

Change where iTunes files are stored on PC - Apple Support

If the issue persists, make sure iTunes is updated:

Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support

If the changes still don’t stick after the above, try uninstalling iTunes and it’s software components and then reinstall:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Take care.

May 1, 2020 12:05 PM in response to t257daf

Jeremy_V,

Implemented all your suggestions including the removal of iTunes and all associated apps as outlined on your web page. Reinstalled iTunes from MS Store. I restarted iTunes and changed iTunes directory to my connected external drive. Once I shutdown iTunes and restart the iTunes directory is changed back to the default location on my internal C: drive.

In Preferences I have checked:

1. Keep iTunes Media Folder organized, and 2. Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library.

I also respond YES to: Would you like to move & Rename files in your new iTunes media folder to match the "keep iTunes Media Folder organized" preference. Responding NO to the question doesn't fix it either.

Is there some Preference I should select to make the Library location change permanent? Is an external drive the problem. It is connected when I start my laptop.

May 2, 2020 6:55 AM in response to sterling r

Talked to support about changing location of iTunes Library. Was told that relocating Library to an external storage device is treated differently than an internal location. It's updated external location will not remain in iTunes when restarting and iTunes defaults to the internal location. External location must be reentered in Edit/Preferences whenever iTunes is restarted. I suggested, in case survey response, that they might look into changing this feature as external storage devices are prevalent.

iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.