Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Two W5700X card, any room for Promise Internal Storage Units?

If the Mac Pro is preconfigured with Two W5700X graphics cards. Can either of the Promise Internal Storage Units, also be installed?

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 9:29 AM

When you choose TWO W5700X units, each of the two takes up one of the two MPX bays at the bottom of the Mac Pro chassis. That fills them up, and you can not install any more MPX-bay devices such as the Pegasus j4i. There are different choices of graphics assemblies that would provide equivalent GPU capability without using up both MPX bays.

However, the smaller bay at the top of the chassis, above the I/O board is still available for a single Pegasus j2i assembly, which comes with one SATA-3 bay filled with an 8TB 7200 RPM drive, and has connectors for a second similar 3.5-in form factor SATA drive.

If you choose to RAID these drives, remember that RAID is NOT backup -- you still need an external backup solution in addition to the RAID. If you use Time Machine, the recommended size it OVER 2x the size of what is to be backed up, but it need not be at all fast.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 9:29 AM in response to James Taskett1

When you choose TWO W5700X units, each of the two takes up one of the two MPX bays at the bottom of the Mac Pro chassis. That fills them up, and you can not install any more MPX-bay devices such as the Pegasus j4i. There are different choices of graphics assemblies that would provide equivalent GPU capability without using up both MPX bays.

However, the smaller bay at the top of the chassis, above the I/O board is still available for a single Pegasus j2i assembly, which comes with one SATA-3 bay filled with an 8TB 7200 RPM drive, and has connectors for a second similar 3.5-in form factor SATA drive.

If you choose to RAID these drives, remember that RAID is NOT backup -- you still need an external backup solution in addition to the RAID. If you use Time Machine, the recommended size it OVER 2x the size of what is to be backed up, but it need not be at all fast.

Mac Pro Two W5700X card, any room for Promise Internal Storage Units?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.