Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where's ARCHIVE UTILITY APP

high sierra insists on trying to open zip files with winzip because i dl'd a demo of winzip for some arcane zip file.

i am trying to set the zip files to open with archive utility app.

anyone know how to select it?!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:02 PM

Right clicking from the contextual menu only tells the OS to open that particular file with app you choose from the list.

To make the Archive Utility the default choice again, do a Get Info on any .zip file. Under the Open with section, choose Archive Utility and then click the button to make it the default.

5 replies

Apr 18, 2020 3:44 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

hi kurt.

if i go OPEN WITH it will allow me to select the utility but it will simply open the zip file. i do not get an option to select as default.

if i go into OTHER it will show the dialogs as above. but as you indicated i think i finally fixed this:

SYSTEM > LIBRARY > CORE SERVICES > APPLICATIONS - then make sure to check ALWAYS OPEN WITH - and select ARCHIVE UTILITY

APPRECIATE IT!

Apr 18, 2020 4:54 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

hi kurt.

actually i am working here and it is not working. seems there is some kind of bug with the winzip download on high sierra if you do not buy the loaner?

i just tried to open another zip and it tries to open with winzip. so i tried the OTHER then to core services then check ALWAYS OPEN with a couple of times and it still tried to open with winzip.

was there an uninstall for the winzip app i should try?

big pain trying to open zip files right now.

THANK YOU

where's ARCHIVE UTILITY APP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.