Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New HD

I am installing a new HD, when I did the time machine backup of the old HD, i used the new HD as the external HD, prob now is the MacBook reads the new HD as a time machine backup, when it is the one I want to install internally. What to do now?

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 7:56 PM

I'm a little confused, but that's nothing new. When you installed the new hard disk, did you format it? If not, do that. Make absolutely positively certain it's not the Time Machine backup. Best to disconnect that drive until after erasing the internal one.

Then, you can select Restore from Time Machine Backup which will prompt you to connect it. That should eliminate all doubt as well as my confusion.

Follow Restore both macOS and your files.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 7:56 PM in response to matthewsbelinda

I'm a little confused, but that's nothing new. When you installed the new hard disk, did you format it? If not, do that. Make absolutely positively certain it's not the Time Machine backup. Best to disconnect that drive until after erasing the internal one.

Then, you can select Restore from Time Machine Backup which will prompt you to connect it. That should eliminate all doubt as well as my confusion.

Follow Restore both macOS and your files.

Apr 19, 2020 12:20 PM in response to matthewsbelinda

That should be ok. To answer your earlier question though, unless your MacBook Pro is very old, you can install a brand new and unformatted internal hard disk drive and use macOS Recovery to format it. The ability to do that is built into the Mac's firmware—nothing needs to be on the internal disk at all.

After it is formatted and macOS is installed on it, you can then populate its content from the Time Machine backup.

If you format the new drive in an external enclosure first, and then install it within the MBP that should also work. It's just not necessary.

New HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.