Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old itunes backup into apple music app

Hi,

I have just purchased a new MacBook Air, I have a backup of my previous 2010 iMac which has finally died but do not want to restore from Time Machine/Migration Assistant as lots of historic files etc. that I do not want to transfer over and just want to restore photos and music. Photos have been restored but can not seem to get new Music App to copy over playlist, play counts etc.

I have tried opening old iTunes library by clicking on the old library, this opens Music but does transfer files. Attempted dropping all old files into Music location but this also does not work. I can drag and drop files in and they copy over but this does not copy over old playlists etc.

Thanks,

J

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 2:16 PM

Hello, John Harvey2.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is you want to be able to get your music playlist, play counts and other data. I'd be glad to help. You'll need to locate the music library file: Change where your music files are stored on Mac

"Locate your Music folder in the Finder, then drag it to the Music window. You see the songs in your library again. If the music library file is included, you also see playlists, song ratings, and other information you created".

This may be different since macOS Catalina changed the library file due to switching to the Music app. You should still be able to find a file called, "iTunes Library". If this has the extension .itl, they you can open the Music app while holding Option to import: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Let me know how this goes.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 2:16 PM in response to John Harvey2

Hello, John Harvey2.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is you want to be able to get your music playlist, play counts and other data. I'd be glad to help. You'll need to locate the music library file: Change where your music files are stored on Mac

"Locate your Music folder in the Finder, then drag it to the Music window. You see the songs in your library again. If the music library file is included, you also see playlists, song ratings, and other information you created".

This may be different since macOS Catalina changed the library file due to switching to the Music app. You should still be able to find a file called, "iTunes Library". If this has the extension .itl, they you can open the Music app while holding Option to import: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Let me know how this goes.

Cheers!

old itunes backup into apple music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.