Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Sync - can I turn the slide in Settings 'off' to pause?

Hi.

My mum lives in an area with terrible cell and home internet. She has a 50Gb iCloud account and saves her phone photos to iCloud, syncing automatically. Obviously, with a poor internet or cell reception it takes ages to upload and kills any alternative use of the internet / cell data when doing it.

Is there a way to pause the photo sync completely? That way when she gets to a coffee shop she can turn it back on and sync with their fast connection.

If she turns off the iCloud Photos slider in settings would that do it? or would it try and delete existing photos in iCloud?

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:47 PM

Hello Jaymz,

You’ve reached out to the right place for help. If I understand you want to help your mom pause her iCloud Photos upload while she’s out and about. Is that right? If so, I’ll be happy to provide some insight. 

Her collection uploads to iCloud each time she connects to Wi-Fi and her battery is charged. If she’s running iOS 11 or later, her library can update over cellular as well. Depending on her Internet speed, the time it takes for her to see her photos and videos on all of her devices and iCloud.com might vary. 

With that being said she definitely has the option to pause her uploads. I would also suggest to not have her toggle iCloud Photos off, as this can cause potential data loss. 

Take a look at the steps under “Pause library uploads to iCloud” in the link below.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

I hope that helps your mom out. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers! 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 4:47 PM in response to Jaymz

Hello Jaymz,

You’ve reached out to the right place for help. If I understand you want to help your mom pause her iCloud Photos upload while she’s out and about. Is that right? If so, I’ll be happy to provide some insight. 

Her collection uploads to iCloud each time she connects to Wi-Fi and her battery is charged. If she’s running iOS 11 or later, her library can update over cellular as well. Depending on her Internet speed, the time it takes for her to see her photos and videos on all of her devices and iCloud.com might vary. 

With that being said she definitely has the option to pause her uploads. I would also suggest to not have her toggle iCloud Photos off, as this can cause potential data loss. 

Take a look at the steps under “Pause library uploads to iCloud” in the link below.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

I hope that helps your mom out. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers! 

iCloud Photo Sync - can I turn the slide in Settings 'off' to pause?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.