Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch tracking on treadmill

I have found that my watch is inconsistent in tracking, on the Activity ring, treadmill brisk walking. I can get consistent tracking if I swing my watch arm naturally, but I would like to be able to hold on to the bar with both hands. Any suggestions? Would strapping the watch around my ankle or stuffing it in my sock be an option? I wouldn't want to mess up the GPS on the watch or some other destructive effect!

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 8:50 AM

11 replies

Apr 20, 2020 11:51 AM in response to Maryllina

From the link I provided you,

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit with the Workout app. Open the app on your Apple Watch and tap Outdoor Walk. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, the heart rate sensor, and GPS.

and if you tap on the blue link, Workout app, it states what to do if you need to use both hands while walking, which is what I recommended.

Apr 20, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Maryllina

A few people have reported on this forum that they have successfully wore their watch here;

Mainly doctors and nurses who are not allowed to wear anything on their arms,There is a possibility that the heart monitor won't function correctly but everything else seems to work ok.

Apr 20, 2020 12:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, Chris. I missed that part of your suggestion. I have tried to do what you said but I am not able to get the workout app on my watch to open to anything but Sharing and Awards. I must be doing something wrong, or it's stuck in the wrong mode and I don't know how to get out of it. I have seen Outdoor Walk and Indoor Walk before but I cannot find it now. Where do I find the blue link?

Apple Watch tracking on treadmill

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.