Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting security for External Plug In

I downloaded a dmg file that contains a component file for a guitar amp simulator for Garageband. It did not contain an authentication certificate, so my Mac "ignored" the file after alerting me to the fact that it was not secure. I know now that I should have opened Security and Privacy settings to allow the plugin (it is legitimate, and does not pose a risk), but I failed to do so.

Now, I can't get Garageband to even see the component file. I have deleted and re-added the component file. I have added the same component file with a changed name, I have re-installed Garageband, and I have reinstalled Catalina. I even reset all permissions through the repair portal. None of these measures has caused the security to stop ignoring this component.

Is there a way to reset the security protocol for this file, so that I can have the option of allowing it again, through privacy and security?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 12:49 PM

Replying to my own question, as I was able to solve the issue myself. There were 2 parts:

Part 1: Manually allow each plug-in through the Terminal app using the following syntax for the component file and each of the VST files:

spctl --add /Path/To/Application.app

Part 2: Delete the following file in User Preferences:

com.apple.audio.InfoHelper.plist

And the following file in the Audio User Cache:

com.apple.audiounits.sandboxed.cache

And that solved the issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 12:49 PM in response to dangeroso

Replying to my own question, as I was able to solve the issue myself. There were 2 parts:

Part 1: Manually allow each plug-in through the Terminal app using the following syntax for the component file and each of the VST files:

spctl --add /Path/To/Application.app

Part 2: Delete the following file in User Preferences:

com.apple.audio.InfoHelper.plist

And the following file in the Audio User Cache:

com.apple.audiounits.sandboxed.cache

And that solved the issue.

Resetting security for External Plug In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.