Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive - how to be sure securely erased?

I have a Lacie external hard drive that is encrypted. Unlike all the other external drives I have, when I try to erase this drive in disk utilities, it does not give me the "Security Options" [from fastest to most secure] so that I can choose the level of secure erasing that I want.

Questions:

• When I erase the drive, it is done in less than one minute - is this secure?
  • Is it true that as the drive is encrypted, even a quick one pass erase means the disk is securely erased?
  • Is there anything else I should know?

Catalina 10.15.4

What I've tried:

• On a MacBook Pro running Mojave the Lacie Drive does give me the "Security Options".
  • I have been erasing and reformatting a few drives on this iMac running Catalina and have not had the same problem.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 2:34 PM

Hello, It all depends on what kind of drive. Apple does not include the Security Options for a SSD drive because it's not needed.

You mentioned that the drive is encrypted, once you erase the drive you are throwing out the FV2 keys.

If it's a spinning hard drive then yes, you can run a multiple pass erase (even though its not needed becase again it was encrypted.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 2:34 PM in response to ckralc

Hello, It all depends on what kind of drive. Apple does not include the Security Options for a SSD drive because it's not needed.

You mentioned that the drive is encrypted, once you erase the drive you are throwing out the FV2 keys.

If it's a spinning hard drive then yes, you can run a multiple pass erase (even though its not needed becase again it was encrypted.)

External hard drive - how to be sure securely erased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.