Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't export!

This is the message I get when I try to export a photo (which appears in Photos, so I think they must still be in the cloud):

"An internet connection is required to download a larger version of these items for exporting.

Export complete with errors

0 of 1 files have been exported to desktop

the export operation failed to create a file for the photo identified below.

errors: could not load image (1,019)"

I recently did a cleanout of my mac, and is it possible I threw away some part of Photos that was needed to go online? Or did I somehow disable Photos from going online?

Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:59 PM

The problem is, that Clean My Mac is damaging the Photos Library. It is removing the original Image files and replacing them by the edited versions, and frequently incorrectly.

If really all your photos are in iCloud you could recreate your Photos Library by creating a new, empty library and let this new library sync with iCloud. Your photos and all albums and adjustments will download from iCloud to the new library, but the named faces will be missing, because the Photos version on El Capitan cannot yet sync the faces to iCloud.

• To create a new library launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Select to create a new library.
  • Make this library your system photo library in the Photos Preferences > General: use as System Photo Library.
  • Make it your iCloud Photo Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud: Use as System Photo Library.
  • Wait for your library to download from iCloud and test it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 12:59 PM in response to grendl666

The problem is, that Clean My Mac is damaging the Photos Library. It is removing the original Image files and replacing them by the edited versions, and frequently incorrectly.

If really all your photos are in iCloud you could recreate your Photos Library by creating a new, empty library and let this new library sync with iCloud. Your photos and all albums and adjustments will download from iCloud to the new library, but the named faces will be missing, because the Photos version on El Capitan cannot yet sync the faces to iCloud.

• To create a new library launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. Select to create a new library.
  • Make this library your system photo library in the Photos Preferences > General: use as System Photo Library.
  • Make it your iCloud Photo Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud: Use as System Photo Library.
  • Wait for your library to download from iCloud and test it.

Apr 21, 2020 1:16 AM in response to grendl666

How did you do the clean-up? Did you use a cleaning application? If yes, which application?

If your photos are still in iCloud, you can check them on the web page www.icloud.com . Open this page and sign in with your iCloud AppleID. Open the Photos.app there. Are your photos there?

If all your photos and videos are in iCloud, check the preferences in Photos. With our Photos Library open in Photos go to Photos > Preferences.

• In Photos > Preferences > General the field "Use as System photos Library" should be greyed out.
  • In Photos > Preferences > iCloud the checkmark "iCloud Photos" should be enabled.

Which system version do you have installed? Where is your Photos Library stored?

Apr 21, 2020 11:39 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Léonie for taking the time to respond!

• I used CleanMyMac.

• The photos are still in iCloud (thanks for the tip on how to check that! I am actually able to download them directly from iCloud, so I am VERY grateful for this tip! In fact, this solves my problem in that I can access all my photos now. But it would still be good to know what went wrong with the Photos app.)

• The Photos > Preferences > General and >iCloud settings check out as you said.

• I am running OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6

• My Photos Library is stored in Pictures.

Thank you for your help!

Photos won't export!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.