Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting photos from iPhoto to external hard drive

I've never had this issue in the past, but when I'm trying to export photos from Photos (for Mac) onto an external hard drive it comes up with a screen saying only a portion of my photos were exported, and the remaining were not exported due to unknown error 512. i even tried to export just 30 photos and same thing happened. I can only export to external hard drive because I don't have the space on my mac! Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:55 AM

What is the file system format of the external volume? is it MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS or another format? Some things you could try:

• If the file system format is not MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, do not export to the top level, but export to a sub folder. Some file systems do not support thousand of items at the top level of the volume.
  • And export in smaller groups of files, not thousands of photos in one go. Then you can easier spot, which file is causing the problem.
  • Export the files with the export setting "File > Export > Export unmodified Original": if you export the unmodified originals, Photos does not need to process the items and created the modified versions. You may have some items in your Photos Library, imported by iPhoto, that cannot be processed by Photos 5 on Catalina. The support for some legacy video formats and image formats is no longer available in Catalina. trying to export the edited versions of such items will give an error message, because Photos cannot process these items. These items should have been converted to a compatible format while still running a system version that supports them. Here is a list, written for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support But it it can give you an idea, which formats to avoid in Photos.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 12:55 AM in response to kitty371

What is the file system format of the external volume? is it MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS or another format? Some things you could try:

• If the file system format is not MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, do not export to the top level, but export to a sub folder. Some file systems do not support thousand of items at the top level of the volume.
  • And export in smaller groups of files, not thousands of photos in one go. Then you can easier spot, which file is causing the problem.
  • Export the files with the export setting "File > Export > Export unmodified Original": if you export the unmodified originals, Photos does not need to process the items and created the modified versions. You may have some items in your Photos Library, imported by iPhoto, that cannot be processed by Photos 5 on Catalina. The support for some legacy video formats and image formats is no longer available in Catalina. trying to export the edited versions of such items will give an error message, because Photos cannot process these items. These items should have been converted to a compatible format while still running a system version that supports them. Here is a list, written for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support But it it can give you an idea, which formats to avoid in Photos.

Exporting photos from iPhoto to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.