Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting iCloud storage on iPhone

My iCloud storage on my iPhone is almost full. I have turned off most backups for apps and I see my backups take up a lot of space. What happens when I delete backups? Is it possible to “turn off and delete “ backups and then turn it on again later to start fresh or will I never have that option again?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 1:21 PM

dawn166,

Thank you for reaching out at Apple Support Communities today. If I understand correctly, you’re wanting to delete your current backups and create a new backup in iCloud to free up some storage.

This is a great way to manage your iCloud storage when backups start to take up space.

This article will show you how to delete your backups:

Manage your iCloud storage

To delete your current backups:

- Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
- Tap Manage Storage > Backups. 
- Tap the name of the device whose backup you'd like to delete. 
- Tap Delete Backup > Turn Off & Delete.

When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Then choose what you need backed up before creating your new backup:

- Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
- Tap the name of the device that you're using.
- Under Choose Data to Back Up, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.
- Choose Turn Off & Delete.

When you confirm that you want to Turn Off & Delete an app, it turns off iCloud Backup for that app and removes all of its information from iCloud.

Once you have the backup set the way you need it, make sure you go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, and tap "Back Up Now" to start the new backup. Otherwise, it will automatically start the next time your iPhone is locked, you're connected to Wi-Fi, and your iPhone is charging.

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2020 1:21 PM in response to dawn166

dawn166,

Thank you for reaching out at Apple Support Communities today. If I understand correctly, you’re wanting to delete your current backups and create a new backup in iCloud to free up some storage.

This is a great way to manage your iCloud storage when backups start to take up space.

This article will show you how to delete your backups:

Manage your iCloud storage

To delete your current backups:

- Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
- Tap the name of the device whose backup you'd like to delete. 
- Tap Delete Backup > Turn Off & Delete.

When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Then choose what you need backed up before creating your new backup:

- Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
- Tap the name of the device that you're using.
- Under Choose Data to Back Up, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up.
- Choose Turn Off & Delete.

When you confirm that you want to Turn Off & Delete an app, it turns off iCloud Backup for that app and removes all of its information from iCloud.

Once you have the backup set the way you need it, make sure you go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, and tap "Back Up Now" to start the new backup. Otherwise, it will automatically start the next time your iPhone is locked, you're connected to Wi-Fi, and your iPhone is charging.

Cheers.

Deleting iCloud storage on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.