Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View and restore past versions of documents on Mac

I am wondering if can restore past version is applicable on documents like word, excel...... and photos.

I have changed the name of pictures on my desktop. I have backup on my time machine but i do not remember what was it cloud on the previous backup.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 10:45 AM

Open Finder and navigate to your Desktop folder.

Click the Time Machine icon and select Enter Time Machine.

This takes you into Time Machine showing your Desktop folder. You can navigate through past backups and see what files where on your desktop. Hopefully you can identify what the picture files were called at a previous time. You can then select that file and restore it with the previous filename intact.

You would do the same thing for files in other folders. You can navigate your folders in the Time Machine Finder view the same way you do normally in Finder.

Hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 10:45 AM in response to srustom

Open Finder and navigate to your Desktop folder.

Click the Time Machine icon and select Enter Time Machine.

This takes you into Time Machine showing your Desktop folder. You can navigate through past backups and see what files where on your desktop. Hopefully you can identify what the picture files were called at a previous time. You can then select that file and restore it with the previous filename intact.

You would do the same thing for files in other folders. You can navigate your folders in the Time Machine Finder view the same way you do normally in Finder.

Hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2020 7:16 AM in response to dunxd2

Thank you so much dunxd2 for your reply and sorry for late response.

It is really amazing that i can restore deleted files, but how can i restore these files and my time machine external hdd is unplugged from the laptop.

I am wondering if there are two backups one into my laptop and other stored in the external hard drive.

will i be able to restore deleted file or folders if i did not enable the time machine backup

Apr 27, 2020 10:59 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Time Machine only backs up to and restores from the drive(s) you have set up for this. If you didn't set up time machine before the time you are trying to roll back to it is not going to be helpful.

If the files have been deleted perhaps they are in the trash.

If the files are still where they should be, and you want to roll them back to a previous state, perhaps the revert feature might help. Take a look at https://osxdaily.com/2015/06/16/revert-to-prior-version-file-mac-os-x/

View and restore past versions of documents on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.