📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone password says incorrect but I know it's right

I have an iPhone 8, and recently a message popped up saying "incorrect password" when I have been using the same password for as long as I've had the phone. About a week ago I had to turn passcode off for a scene in class I was doing. When I went to put passcode back on I accidentally put in a really old password, but I immediately changed it to the one I normally use. This morning I was on my phone without any issues, Then about an hour ago my phone asked for my password to be put in (after I was using my thumbprint all day). I then put in my passcode and it was saying I was wrong, I then tried to put in the old password and nothing worked and it was locked for 15 minuets. Next, I turned off my phone and turned it back on. it still said "iPhone locked for 15 minuets". I looked this up and nothing helped me at all. I don't want to have to erase all data and pictures I have, to unlock a phone I know the password to. Also, last night my phone died and when it asked for the password after it charged back up it worked. So I'm confused why it is doing this now.

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 2:04 AM

The same exact thing happened to me. I was turning on a new iPhone and then as I put in a passcode for the new Iphone, my old iPhone started saying that my passcode, which i know is a million percent correct, is incorrect and disabled. I have no idea what to do now because I am more than sure that this is my passcode. Could the password been have changed to the password on the new iPhone?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 26, 2020 2:04 AM in response to alexvhogan

The same exact thing happened to me. I was turning on a new iPhone and then as I put in a passcode for the new Iphone, my old iPhone started saying that my passcode, which i know is a million percent correct, is incorrect and disabled. I have no idea what to do now because I am more than sure that this is my passcode. Could the password been have changed to the password on the new iPhone?

May 26, 2020 6:46 AM in response to MayaJSalman

No, the passcodes on phones are completely independent. Even if you “know” the passcode is correct that doesn’t matter, because the phone itself “knows” the passcode it expects, so if you don’t enter what the phone expects you will have to restore the phone from recovery mode—>If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support.

Apr 21, 2020 5:02 PM in response to alexvhogan

The phone is the sole judge of whether you enter the correct passcode or not. So no one can answer why it isn’t accepting what you think is the correct passcode, but it is the boss. You get a couple of more guesses; after that the phone will switch to disabled mode and all content will be gone. The you follow these instructions—>If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support. There is no other way.

Apr 21, 2020 4:54 PM in response to alexvhogan

You have to erase the phone if you want to be able to use it. If you have backed up or synced your pictures you can restore them. Likewise for other data on the phone. The time for backups is before you need them. After is too late.

Are you sure you didn’t do ANY of these ways of preserving photos?

• iCloud photo sync
  • iCloud backup
  • iTunes backup
  • Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Apple Photo Stream
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

If the answer is no to all of the above your photos are gone forever. As is any other data you didn’t either back up or sync.

Apr 21, 2020 4:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Every time I get a phone, my photos are there once I set it up. So that means they are in iCloud. But this is weird that this is happening out of the blue when I was using it all today and yesterday. And it died yesterday and clearly I got back in fine. I turned the phone off because it kept saying "15 minuets". But i'm not sure what to do now.

Iphone password says incorrect but I know it's right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.