Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options for using an SSD drive with Thunderbolt 2

Since Thunderbolt 2 ports are basically obsolete. What is the best way for me to get faster speeds than standard usb A (5gbps) for running a usb-C external SSD drive. Currently I have a Samsung T5 portable SSD which uses USB-C (gen 2, 10gbps) which I would like to plug into my thunderbolt 2 port to get faster speeds. Unfortunately a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter won't work because it needs to plug into a device that is self powered. (I've been told this from many tech people)

What is my best option for getting my SSD drive to work at faster speeds using my thunderbolt 2 port? This can't be impossible. There has to be a work around! I've been told I can use a self-powered USB Hub somehow (and use my thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter) or Purchase a SSD which uses its own power (these can get pricy and aren't guaranteed to work with the thunderbolt 2 connectivity and adapters.

Help! I just want to be able to plug an SSD drive to my computer and get faster speeds than standard USB (5gbps). Any advice?

I have:

iMac 27 in. late 2015

running Catalina

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 7:18 PM

musicris23 wrote:

What is my best option for getting my SSD drive to work at faster speeds using my thunderbolt 2 port? This can't be impossible. There has to be a work around!

Help! I just want to be able to plug an SSD drive to my computer and get faster speeds than standard USB (5gbps). Any advice?

To get the full speed out of USB-C devices, you will need to replace your 2015 iMac with a newer one that supports USB-C.

But there is no need to do that because if you carefully check the spec’s of the T5. You will note that it only actually on runs at 540 MB/s, so it actually won’t run any faster on USB-C than it does on USB 3.0.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/portable-solid-state-drives/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-mu-pa1t0b-am/

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 7:18 PM in response to musicris23

musicris23 wrote:

What is my best option for getting my SSD drive to work at faster speeds using my thunderbolt 2 port? This can't be impossible. There has to be a work around!

To get the full speed out of USB-C devices, you will need to replace your 2015 iMac with a newer one that supports USB-C.

But there is no need to do that because if you carefully check the spec’s of the T5. You will note that it only actually on runs at 540 MB/s, so it actually won’t run any faster on USB-C than it does on USB 3.0.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/portable-solid-state-drives/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-mu-pa1t0b-am/

Apr 22, 2020 12:14 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you! This was helpful! I appreciate the link to the specs. Yes you are correct on the max speeds! I was wondering why it would come with a usb-c to usb-a cable! If the speed factor doesn’t change regardless of input that makes sense!

Now the real question will be, will the T5 be fast enough for what I need it to do, or will I have to upgrade my computer haha. We shall see...

Apr 22, 2020 4:43 AM in response to musicris23

musicris23 wrote:

Thank you! This was helpful! I appreciate the link to the specs. Yes you are correct on the max speeds!

You’re welcome.

I was wondering why it would come with a usb-c to usb-a cable!

Because that is the current connection used by both PC’s and Mac’s.

You can replace the USB-C cable with a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable or just use a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter.

Options for using an SSD drive with Thunderbolt 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.