Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laptop Itunes vs. iPhone Itunes

Hello,

I have a question and was wondering if someone could help. I have iTunes on my PC laptop and whenever I get a new song to download, the song(s) goes straight to both my laptop and my phone. I listen to a lot of music. Right now I have 800+ and some of these songs I don't want on my iPhone. How would I delete songs from my phone so it wouldn't delete the library from my laptop?

If any help that would be great, thanks.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 7:14 AM

If you wish to keep a song in your iTunes Library but not have it on the phone, you can use the Sync only ticked songs and videos feature in iTunes.

When you next connect your phone to iTunes, look on the Device/Settings/Summary pane (indicated above) and turn on the Sync only ticked songs and videos. Once you have that turned on, simply untick any song in your library (at any time) and it will be removed from the phone (at the next Sync), but stay in the Library. To add the song back to the phone, simply tick the song and then connect the phone up for a Sync.

Note though, that iTunes will not play that unticked song unless you specifically select it.

The only other method is to sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, but that's a more involved procedure, which may not be worth using for just one or two songs.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2020 7:14 AM in response to rarebreed105

If you wish to keep a song in your iTunes Library but not have it on the phone, you can use the Sync only ticked songs and videos feature in iTunes.

When you next connect your phone to iTunes, look on the Device/Settings/Summary pane (indicated above) and turn on the Sync only ticked songs and videos. Once you have that turned on, simply untick any song in your library (at any time) and it will be removed from the phone (at the next Sync), but stay in the Library. To add the song back to the phone, simply tick the song and then connect the phone up for a Sync.

Note though, that iTunes will not play that unticked song unless you specifically select it.

The only other method is to sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, but that's a more involved procedure, which may not be worth using for just one or two songs.

Apr 23, 2020 1:18 AM in response to rarebreed105

I think you should post your problem in this community: Apple Music on Windows - Apple Community where others who know more about Apple Music works may be able to help you.

Although some experienced contributors look both there and here, others may only check that particular forum. Personally, I know very little about it since I don't use the service.

Apr 21, 2020 9:48 PM in response to rarebreed105

You can delete songs from your iphone and it will not effect your iTunes library. However, next time you sync your iTunes with your iPhone, the songs will go back onto your iphone unless you remove them from your iTunes library.

On your iPhone, select Songs, then the song you want to delete, pause playing, highlight the playing song (paused), hit the 3 dots upper right corner, and select Delete from Library.

Apr 21, 2020 10:37 PM in response to rarebreed105

Okay, these must be songs downloaded from Apple, right? You can re-download purchased music anytime by signing in with the same account you originally purchased the from.

If they were your own songs from your own music collection, they would remain in your iTunes library when deleted from your iPhone. Sorry, didn't read your original post properly.

Apr 21, 2020 10:43 PM in response to Skcusime

You're fine. I was just confused on what I am doing wrong: I deleted one song from my iphone (delete from Library) and then it deleted the same song on my Windows laptop Itunes Library. Is there a way so when I delete a song(s) from my Iphone but still show up on my Laptop? Is there a way I can stop syncing music so that when I download a song on my laptop it doesn't go straight to my phone? Sorry for making this difficult. I really do appreciate your kindness in helping me.

Laptop Itunes vs. iPhone Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.