Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule as simple backup drive

Hi,

I would like to use my time capsule to create a backup of my hard drive.

I don’t want to use the time capsule as a WiFi network but just as a simple external disk connected to my computer with a cable.

Does anybody know if it’s possible and how to do it?

Many thanks

Yann

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 12:14 PM

Nice work! If you do not need the wireless signal that the Time Capsule is providing, when the backup has completed........

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the Time Capsule to select it

Click Edit in the small window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Network Mode from Create a wireless network to Off

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 12:14 PM in response to yann192

Nice work! If you do not need the wireless signal that the Time Capsule is providing, when the backup has completed........

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the Time Capsule to select it

Click Edit in the small window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Network Mode from Create a wireless network to Off

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

Apr 23, 2020 5:06 AM in response to yann192

OK, thanks for the clarification on that.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the Orange router (there are probably 4 of them, choose any one that you wish) to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

Then, hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

This is a Hard Reset that will delete the current network settings on the Time Capsule so that it can be programmed with the new settings that it needs to connect to the Orange network. This reset will NOT affect any of the data that is stored on the Time Capsule hard drive.

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might just say Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks similar to the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name......Type in a short name for the network. Later, we will turf off the WiFi on the Time Capsule

Base Station Name.....Type in a device name for the Time Capsule

Password.....Type in a password for the Time Capsule

Verify.....Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next

The "wizard" will set up the Time Capsule with the settings that it needs. After a minute or two, you should see a message of Setup Complete and the Time Capsule should be displaying a green light.

Log onto the Orange wireless network and make sure that you can now see the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility and that you can also back up your Mac to the Time Capsule.

Post back if all is well and we will turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule next.

Apr 22, 2020 6:06 AM in response to yann192

Does anybody know if it’s possible

Yes it is.

.....how to do it?

Since you are indicating that you don't want to use your Time Capsule to provide a WiFi network, your post hints that you likely have another router that is providing your WiFi service.

Would that be correct? If yes, we need the make and model number of your router to be able to provide the correct instructions to repurpose your Time Capsule to act only as a backup hard drive. Please do not provide a serial number, since we don't need that info.....just the make and model number.

What we can say at this time is that the Time Capsule will need to connect to your WiFi router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, so if you do not have a spare Ethernet cable to use, you will need to pick one up. You can locate the Time Capsule anywhere that the Ethernet cable will reach.

You also indicate in your profile that you have a MacBook Pro, so we assume that this is the device that you will use to reprogram the Time Capsule, would that be correct?

Apr 24, 2020 2:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Good morning Bob

Backup of hard drive is now completed and the time machine is running automatically.

I will shutdown the time capsule wifi unless I decide to use it to connect my printer.

Thank you indeed for the excellent support and well documented guidances!

I have an other question about my Hard drive partition:

Shall I make it in a separate post?

Many thanks

Yann

Time capsule as simple backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.