Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change and remember default Finder window size (again)

Picking up on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8141830

How can we have Mojave to remember background-color/size/coordinates of thousands of folders, it does not seem to read .DS_Store files. I have upgraded from 10.6.8 to a new laptop (10.14.6) -- and need to have the layout preserved for thousands of files that took years to set to their properties. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 8:42 AM

I would doubt that the format of the .DS_Store files has remained the same in eight OS changes.

There are various system folders you have no authority to write to anymore, Catalina more so than Mojave. That means you cannot set any display preferences that will stick.

Anything in your Home folder should be maintain the settings you choose, but as stated above, I doubt Mojave can parse what is in a Snow Leopard .DS_Store. A lot has changed since then.

Also, folders don't have a life of their own. The Finder window is not the folder anymore. It is just a presentation window for the folder contents. The current window is the driver for what it displays, not necessarily the folder. If you open a folder directly in a new Finder window, it should show as what you had set. If you navigate to a folder from a currently open Finder Window, the contents are displayed in the method chosen for the Finder display window.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 8:42 AM in response to christos123

I would doubt that the format of the .DS_Store files has remained the same in eight OS changes.

There are various system folders you have no authority to write to anymore, Catalina more so than Mojave. That means you cannot set any display preferences that will stick.

Anything in your Home folder should be maintain the settings you choose, but as stated above, I doubt Mojave can parse what is in a Snow Leopard .DS_Store. A lot has changed since then.

Also, folders don't have a life of their own. The Finder window is not the folder anymore. It is just a presentation window for the folder contents. The current window is the driver for what it displays, not necessarily the folder. If you open a folder directly in a new Finder window, it should show as what you had set. If you navigate to a folder from a currently open Finder Window, the contents are displayed in the method chosen for the Finder display window.

Apr 22, 2020 3:44 AM in response to christos123

christos123 wrote:

Picking up on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8141830

How can we have Mojave to remember background-color/size/coordinates of thousands of folders, it does not seem to read .DS_Store files. I have upgraded from 10.6.8 to a new laptop (10.14.6) -- and need to have the layout preserved for thousands of files that took years to set to their properties. Thanks.

You may be asking too much here— " background-color/size/coordinates of thousands of folders," ?

I am not quite sure what type of micro management is going on here... Are you using some third party software?

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

ustomize the Finder toolbar and sidebar on Mac - Apple ...

Apr 23, 2020 8:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

> I am not quite sure what type of micro management is going on here... Are you using some third party software?

Every folder has some properties (.DS_Store): size, coordinates, background color. Mojave does not recognize them.

No third party software, this was MacOS 10.1-10.8 as far as I know. What happened ?? Anyone understands this issue?

THANKS.

Change and remember default Finder window size (again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.