Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Express VPN - AirDrop

Hi there,

I have an interesting question, I know there are some posts about VPN and AirDrop, but this one is different.

I have a Macbook Pro, an iPad Pro and an iPhone (all connected to the same WiFi network and with VPN turned ON).

On the 3 devices the IP Address is different at the last part:

Macbook Pro ending with .67

iPad Pro ending with .24

iPhone ending with .86

The interesting part is that I can AirDrop between my iPad Pro and iPhone, but I can't AirDrop from my iPad Pro to my Mac or from my iPhone to my Mac.

Both iPad and iPhone AirDrop detects that the Mac is near, so it appears in AirDrop. But in my Mac in AirDrop, the iPad won't appear nor the iPhone.

Any idea why this is happening?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 11:19 AM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2020 5:33 PM in response to Iokanan Developer

Hey Iokanan Developer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into an issue with AirDrop. AirDrop is a great feature, so I definitely understand wanting to have this working between all your devices. I am happy to provide some information to help.

It sounds like you're able to AirDrop between your iOS devices without issue, so let's focus on the Mac. I recommend checking out the resource below, specifically the steps under "If you can't see the other device in AirDrop".

Use AirDrop on your Mac

If those steps don't help, are you able to disconnect from the VPN and test if those devices appear?

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Express VPN - AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.