Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do You Unlock a Pages Document?

I have a very old pages document that has been transferred from an old laptop. I tried to edit it but it is locked and I get a message saying I don't have permission to unlock it. After duplicating it, so I could edit a new copy, I tried moving the original to the trash but it won't let me do that either because it is locked.

Can someone please help me to remove the locked document?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 9:52 AM

There is a difference between locked, and password protected. If it is truly locked, you can click on the document, and press command+i to Get Info, and locked will be checked. Just deselect that, and your document, barring any other protections, should be editable, or movable to the Trash. This corner lock symbol may not show in Catalina, when the document is locked, but does appear in Mojave (10.14.*).

If the Pages document has a password on it, the icon will have a large padlock symbol on it, and without the password, you are done.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Caryl8

There is a difference between locked, and password protected. If it is truly locked, you can click on the document, and press command+i to Get Info, and locked will be checked. Just deselect that, and your document, barring any other protections, should be editable, or movable to the Trash. This corner lock symbol may not show in Catalina, when the document is locked, but does appear in Mojave (10.14.*).

If the Pages document has a password on it, the icon will have a large padlock symbol on it, and without the password, you are done.

How Do You Unlock a Pages Document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.