Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer iTunes library to the updated "MUSIC" app on my new MacBook Pro

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and am trying to transfer my old iMac iTunes music library over to it but can't figure out how to do it. I can't find much info on line either.

My MacBook Pro is running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4, so the new "MUSIC" app doesn't recognize the old iTunes library format that I am trying to bring over. I would think that it would be fairly straight forward but no luck so far. I tried using the MIGRATION ASSISTANT with my Time Machine backup (clicked on APPLICATIONS - unchecked the DOCUMENTS & DATA and the COMPUTER & NETWORK SETTINGS) but even though it took quite a while, there wasn't any of my music available at all.

Appreciate any assistance you might be able to provide. I would think it is a very simple fix but I am not having any luck at all so far.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 1:45 PM

Hello Acer100 and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues getting iTunes music onto a new Mac running Catalina.

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

The Music app introduced to the Mac under Catalina does use an all new format for the library (.musiclibrary vs the old .itl iTunes Library file) If you transferred the entire iTunes folder (generally inside a folder called Music) to the new Mac, then the first time you open Music, it should convert the old file to the new format.

If that is not happening try this. Launch the Music app whilst pressing and holding the Option key on the Mac keyboard. This should give you an option to open an alternate library or create a new one. Try navigating to the old .itl file and open that.

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Acer100

Hello Acer100 and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues getting iTunes music onto a new Mac running Catalina.

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

The Music app introduced to the Mac under Catalina does use an all new format for the library (.musiclibrary vs the old .itl iTunes Library file) If you transferred the entire iTunes folder (generally inside a folder called Music) to the new Mac, then the first time you open Music, it should convert the old file to the new format.

If that is not happening try this. Launch the Music app whilst pressing and holding the Option key on the Mac keyboard. This should give you an option to open an alternate library or create a new one. Try navigating to the old .itl file and open that.

Cheers.

How to transfer iTunes library to the updated "MUSIC" app on my new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.