Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Airport Express to New Airport Extreme

Hi:

My Apple network has been running successfully for years

with an Airport Extreme Base Station (Model A1143 – 2nd Gen). I am

attempting to swap out a new sealed-in-the-box Airport Extreme Base Station

(Model A1521 – 6th Gen) and it has been a nightmare.

My original network had five regularly working Airport

Express units (Models A1264 mostly, plus an older A1088, I think) feeding

Airplay music to rooms throughout the two-story house. Two of the Expresses

have CAT5 running to them, but the rest are wireless. All were visible on the

Airport Utility (v6.3.7) running on my 2014 MacBook Pro running OSX Sierra.

I removed my old Airport Extreme, unplugged all the

Expresses and followed the instructions to set up the new Airport Extreme. The

set up appeared to go well and I had a much faster wireless connection to the

internet. Once I started adding Airport Expresses, however, I was knocked off

the internet and had difficulty reconnecting.

With each Express, I was able to successfully add it to the

network and see it in the Airport Utility. Then, the Express would disconnect

itself and my new Airport Extreme could no longer connect to the internet.

After multiple tries, I did a factory reset on the Airport Extreme, did the initial setup again, and

re-established the wireless connection to the internet. However, each time I

try to add an Airport Express the same thing happens: the Express initially

establishes a connection to the Extreme but then is lost.

I’ve tried to reset each Express before introducing them to

the new Extreme, but they each come back with their original name, connect, and

then are lost. Same story.

The wifi speeds have never been this fast so I’m happy with

the new Extreme, but I want my old network back and I can’t figure out how.

The ONLY thing that was strange on the initial setup of the

new Extreme is that once connected it asked me to update to the new firmware (7.9.1). I

attempted the update, but when done it briefly said something like “the firmware

update was not successful.” In the Airport Utility, however, it does say that

the new Airport Extreme is currently running version 7.9.1.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be complete with

my information. This is very frustrating. I’d sure appreciate any insight that

could be offered.

Many thanks!

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 9:49 PM

An AirPort Extreme will run circles around an AirPort Express as far as performance is concerned, so if you have the option to extend using an Extreme, that would be far superior to extending using an Express.

If at all possible, connect the old Extreme to the new Extreme using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

As far as setup, use the same configuration as detailed above.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 9:49 PM in response to SQUONK2

An AirPort Extreme will run circles around an AirPort Express as far as performance is concerned, so if you have the option to extend using an Extreme, that would be far superior to extending using an Express.

If at all possible, connect the old Extreme to the new Extreme using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

As far as setup, use the same configuration as detailed above.

Apr 23, 2020 8:53 PM in response to SQUONK2

Important Note........Unfortunately, the version of AirPort Utility used on your Mac is not compatible with the older A1088 version of the AirPort Express, so you will not be able to reconfigure that model to work with your network........unless......you or a friend has a PC with AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows installed on the computer which might allow the older A1088 Express to be set up.

The AirPort Extreme is operating fine.

Power off all of the AirPort Express units.

Temporarily move one of the A1264 AirPort Express devices.....that was connecting using Ethernet.....so that it is close to the AirPort Extreme

Connect a short spare Ethernet cable......any length will do at this point.....from one of the three LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme to the Ethernet port on the AirPort Express.

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the side of the Express for 7-8 seconds and then release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac.....

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup helper, known as the "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below except that you will see your wireless network name and devices.

Type in a new device name for the Base Station, or you can use the suggested name if you wish

Click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to see that the AirPort Express is being configured to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the setup wizard has picked up the Ethernet connection between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express and will apply the correct settings to the Express.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done......and you are done with the setup of that Express.

Power off the Express and move it back to its normal location where it connects to the network using Ethernet and power the Express back up. If the Ethernet cabling and connectors are working correctly, so too will the AirPort Express be working correctly as well.

Follow the same instructions as above for the second A1264 Express that connects using Ethernet. When you are done, you should now have two A1264 AirPort Expresses connecting to the network and operating correctly.

Post back to confirm on your progress at this point and we will continue with the setup of the other A1264 Expresses. Please confirm that these models will connect to the AirPort Extreme network using a wireless connection.....not Ethernet.....like the previous two Expresses that you have set up.

Apr 24, 2020 5:41 PM in response to SQUONK2

I configured the A1088 using an older mac I have that was running the older Airport Utility. I configured the A1264 with my MacBook Pro exactly as you laid out in your instructions. I watched both wizard setups closely, but didn't see an indication that said "extend using ethernet," as you suggested. Both appear to be working fine, however, and are currently playing music via Airplay.

There is no "extend using Ethernet" setting on the older versions of AirPort Utility.

Use the "Create a wireless network" setting and use the exact same wireless network name, same security and same password as the main AirPort. In addition, you will need to make sure that the A1088 is set up to operate in Bridge Mode, which Apple calls "Off (Bridge Mode)".

Sorry, I'm not clear on how many more A1264s that you have (two ?), but understand that you want them to connect using wireless. In order for this to work correctly, both of these Express devices need to be located so that they are closer to the AirPort Extreme than any other AirPort.

The reason for this is that each AirPort that extends using a wireless connection must connect to the "main" AirPort router......not to another AirPort.

You will know that you have the correct setup when you open AirPort Utility to look at the network layout. Each of the Expresses that connects using wireless will have a dotted line connecting directly back to the AirPort Extreme.

To set up the Expresses, follow the exact same setup that I outlined above, except do not use an Ethernet cable connection. The setup "wizard" will indicated that the Express is being set up to wirelessly extend the network

In the example below, you can see that an AirPort Express is being set up to wirelessly extend a network named TWNDB that is being provided by an AirPort Extreme.

Frankly, I'm not fond of this type of setup at all, because it always results in a slow down of the network in the areas where the Expresses will be located. But, sometimes you have no choice as far as installation is concerned.

Connecting an extender using Ethernet is always a much better way to set up a network.

Apr 24, 2020 5:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob!! All of that was extremely helpful and I'm very grateful for your level of detail. I'm not sure where I erred initially, but I followed your instructions to the letter and it all appears to be working.

I now have two Airport Expresses connected via ethernet. I connected one of the A1264's and the one A1088. I configured the A1088 using an older mac I have that was running the older Airport Utility. I configured the A1264 with my MacBook Pro exactly as you laid out in your instructions. I watched both wizard setups closely, but didn't see an indication that said "extend using ethernet," as you suggested. Both appear to be working fine, however, and are currently playing music via Airplay.

The remaining Airport Expresses are all A1264's and they all will be connecting via wireless. I'd appreciate your help with that process as well. I thought I knew what I was doing before when I tried to set up the A1264's wirelessly with the new Airport Extreme, but somehow I didn't get the reset or the configuration correct.

Thank you again for all your time and help!

Apr 24, 2020 9:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate your advice and insight. I will implement your steps to set up the Airport Expresses wirelessly. I have three more A1264's to set up.

I DO have the older Airport Extreme that I just replaced with the new one. I've read a few apple discussions talking about how to set that up as a way to extend the existing network. Is this something you would recommend? I would normally put one of the Expresses in the main room for Airplay and wireless access to Apple TV. However, it is a central location in the house. Would the network be better served if I used the old Airport Extreme in that room to increase wireless reach? If so, what would you recommend for set up?

Thanks so much!

Can't connect Airport Express to New Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.