Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing of iPhone 7 to iMac (Safari)

I have done and checked everything for my devices to sync with each other, yet I have to connect my iPhone to iMac to transfer music, video's, etc... Anyone have this problem also and know the fix ?

iPhone 7, 13

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 3:34 PM

Thanks turingtest2. Yeah I had done that previously. Yet I went back again and check over both iPhone and iMac. iPhone 7 was my primary only Apple product until I bought iMac last year. It worked great until Catalina. I'm learning lol. iPhone no issues. iMac if I download music or video's they show in Apple Music but will not play. Now they do show and play on my iPhone with out connection. I have to connect phone to iMac to complete download on iMac. That's my issue. Thinking maybe trying One download at a time on iMac, thinking it maybe a internet connectivity issue of overload. I tend to see one music item then choose others also. Thanks to you guys I feel confident it will get resolved. Thanks again !

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 3:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks turingtest2. Yeah I had done that previously. Yet I went back again and check over both iPhone and iMac. iPhone 7 was my primary only Apple product until I bought iMac last year. It worked great until Catalina. I'm learning lol. iPhone no issues. iMac if I download music or video's they show in Apple Music but will not play. Now they do show and play on my iPhone with out connection. I have to connect phone to iMac to complete download on iMac. That's my issue. Thinking maybe trying One download at a time on iMac, thinking it maybe a internet connectivity issue of overload. I tend to see one music item then choose others also. Thanks to you guys I feel confident it will get resolved. Thanks again !

Apr 24, 2020 6:04 PM in response to NoMo57

I’m sorry, I don’t use Apple Music, but it was my impression that the music would sync to all devices from the cloud without having to use your computer. You should not have to sync music from Apple Music. It should download to the Mac.

See if this is of any help whatsoever for syncing music.

See if this helps with downloading the songs from Apple Music.

Add and download music from Apple Music or buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2020 4:40 AM in response to NoMo57

Hi there,

First can we check whether or not you have the Apple Music subscription service, not to be confused with the Apple's Music app which has replaced iTunes in macOS 10.15 Catalina? If you have either of the Apple Music or iTunes Match services then see Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support and make sure that you've enabled Sync Library (previously iCloud Music Library) so that changes you make in one library or device get reflected in your others without you needing to connect them and transfer files.

If you don't have either service then you should still find that items you purchase on your device, for example, become available in the cloud on your computer. Check the View menu in the Music app to see if you have View > Only Downloaded Music selected. If so click View > All Music. If you have Automatic Downloads for new purchases enabled, but it doesn't seem to work, try turning the option off, sign out of your Apple ID, sign back in and turn Automatic Downloads on once more.

tt2

Apr 24, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Demo

You're right Safari has nothing to do with. Catalina was the name I was looking for. I've gone through all those procedures to sync my Music with devices. My issue is I can only sync my Music if I plug in my phone to iMac. Does not transfer music downloads. Everything else it sync's. Looking for solutions. Thank you.

Apr 24, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Demo

I can download music to my iPhone but not seeing it on my iMac unless I connect phone to iMac. I’ve sync them by instructions. Auto downloads on each etc. If I download a music video on iMac

it want work until I connect iPhone to iMac. I realize it maybe WiFi issue but I’ve bumped my WiFi signal no change. Before Catalina it worked as advertised. I’m NOT a wizard, I’m learning. Advice or suggestions I welcome. Tks !

Apr 24, 2020 4:46 PM in response to Demo

Yes Demo Apple Music. I’m signed on with both devices to same account. Worked find until Catalina. Now iPhone was my primary account until I bought iMac. No issues other than my familiarity with iMac. I added iMac to account and downloaded all previous music no problems. Now my pictures I get sync right on both devices. It’s music only, especially if I download from iMac. It loads on my phone but when I go to play on iMac it just turns blank. Once I connect iPhone and allow it to finish downloading to Mac no problems. Beats me ! At least I know connection to phone solves it. EVERYTHING it says to sync devices I’ve done over and over. I do appreciate your input, thanks.

Apr 24, 2020 7:02 PM in response to Demo

Well as I’ve said I’m not a wizard, I’m subject to making mistakes as others. But as I understand it long as I have paired my iPhone to the iMac under same account then turn on device sharing this issue is a problem. For pictures I do not have to physically connect them, it works as advertised. Music I have to connect them to have synced downloads. E mail same as pictures, I delete from one it deletes from other. Only messaging not suppose to sync: I know this. Good luck in this environment getting anyone in chat or on a phone. Tks !

Apr 25, 2020 3:52 AM in response to NoMo57

I’m going to ask for help in another part of the community where higher level users have access. I don’t know anything about Apple Music or syncing using the Finder. Hopefully someone will chime in and offer you some suggestions. I’m sorry that I couldn’t be of any help. Hang in there.

Apr 25, 2020 11:26 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes I did reboot the modem and iMac, the speed did increase. The only reason I bought internet service was for the iMac, to handle security, Home stereo system, etc... But I discovered my cable system was taking enormous data causing larger than normal Bills from internet provider. I took it off internet WiFi. Using phone WiFi for it when needed, I.E. watching pay for view. iPhone WiFi is unlimited data and I live near a tower making phone signal strong. Of course phone stays with me so I couldn’t use for say home security because I’m not always home.

Yeah systems such as cable basically steal your internet data after paying those high price programs if you sign them to your home WiFi system. Matter of economic’s . I work from my phone most of the time, iMac is for my time.

Syncing of iPhone 7 to iMac (Safari)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.