Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you delete large files within Time Machine?

When I set up Time Machine I forgot to exclude several folders containing huge files that change constantly. As a result my 3 TB drive has run out of room. I don't need copies of the huge files I forgot to exclude as I have them backed up on other external drives. Can I just delete them within Time Machine to regain the room they are taking up? If not should I just reformat the Time Machine drive and start over? The only files I really need from the Time Machine backup I have backed up both in Super Duper and ChronoSync Express so it wouldn't represent much of a loss.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 9:39 PM

Thanks for the info! It turned out that the backup drive wasn't full after all. I ran Disk Utility First Aid and it found numerous errors and fixed them and now Time Machine appears to be operating OK!

3 replies

Apr 24, 2020 1:10 PM in response to WhatMeWorry?

I'm not a Time Machine user but I think if you add those items to your Exclude list in Time Machine Preferences, then that might get them removed. Otherwise, use the Time Machine application to find the files and delete them. Be sure you have already excluded them or removed them from the source. Otherwise, Time Machine will just back them up again.

Can you delete large files within Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.