Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iPhone content to a new iMac - Catalina 10.15.4

I have a new iMac and want to move my iPhone contents onto the Mac. It looks like iTunes is no more. I looked into using Finder, but from what I can tell, you can only move content from Mac onto the phone. I will loose a lot of stuff if I do that. I have done search after search and I can only find how to go the direction I don't want to go.

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 5:07 PM

Finally found it...

Transfer files between iPhone and your Mac

Connect iPhone to your Mac.

You can connect using USB, or if you set up Wi-Fi syncing, you can use a Wi-Fi connection.

In the Finder sidebar on your Mac, select your iPhone.

Note: To use the Finder to transfer files, macOS Catalina is required. With earlier versions of macOS, use iTunes to transfer files.

At the top of the Finder window, click Files, then do one of the following:

Transfer from Mac to iPhone: Drag a file or a selection of files from a Finder window onto an app name in the list.

Transfer from iPhone to Mac: Click the disclosure triangle beside an app name to see its files on your iPhone, then drag a file to a Finder window.

To delete a file from iPhone, select it below an app name, press Command-Delete, then click Delete.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 5:07 PM in response to MWCW1024

Finally found it...

Transfer files between iPhone and your Mac

Connect iPhone to your Mac.

You can connect using USB, or if you set up Wi-Fi syncing, you can use a Wi-Fi connection.

In the Finder sidebar on your Mac, select your iPhone.

Note: To use the Finder to transfer files, macOS Catalina is required. With earlier versions of macOS, use iTunes to transfer files.

At the top of the Finder window, click Files, then do one of the following:

Transfer from Mac to iPhone: Drag a file or a selection of files from a Finder window onto an app name in the list.

Transfer from iPhone to Mac: Click the disclosure triangle beside an app name to see its files on your iPhone, then drag a file to a Finder window.

To delete a file from iPhone, select it below an app name, press Command-Delete, then click Delete.

Apr 24, 2020 4:31 PM in response to Old Toad

I uploaded CDs to iTunes on my old PC. I have a brand new iMac and I want the contents of the phone on my iMac just like it was on my old PC. They tell that you now use Finder to sync everything. Finder only lets you move content from the iMac to the phone, not the other way. It even give you a warning that anything not on iMac will be lost during the sync.

Moving iPhone content to a new iMac - Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.