Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie export resolution

Trying to export an hour long video in iMovie. If I do 720p High resolution, the file size is huge. Which combination would give a sharper image- 720p with high quality, or 540p with medium quality? I don't really know the difference.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 10:52 PM

720p with high quality would give a sharper image than 540p with medium quality. The former is high def whereas the later is standard def and on top of that you would be exporting with lower quality settings. I would definitely stay with 720p with high quality export option. To cover the bases, are you sure that you are not exporting at Best Quality rather than High Quality, because Best Quality (pro res) has about a 4x file size versus other iMovie export options.

Is there some reason why you need a smaller file size? Is it a storage issue? What is the purpose of the video?

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 10:52 PM in response to jenriane

720p with high quality would give a sharper image than 540p with medium quality. The former is high def whereas the later is standard def and on top of that you would be exporting with lower quality settings. I would definitely stay with 720p with high quality export option. To cover the bases, are you sure that you are not exporting at Best Quality rather than High Quality, because Best Quality (pro res) has about a 4x file size versus other iMovie export options.

Is there some reason why you need a smaller file size? Is it a storage issue? What is the purpose of the video?

-- Rich

iMovie export resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.