Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing iPad music library in iCloud.

How do I backup my complete iPad Pro (iOS 13.4.1) music library directly to my iCloud account? I can't find any way to do so. I do NOT wish to subscribe to either Apple Music or iTunes Match.

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 10:42 AM

JimWNC wrote:

How do I backup my complete iPad Pro (iOS 13.4.1) music library directly to my iCloud account? I can't find any way to do so. I do NOT wish to subscribe to either Apple Music or iTunes Match.

There really isn't a process for this.

If the music is purchased from iTunes, there is no need to back up, as your purchase history will allow you to download the music at any point in the future.

If it's CD based, you can copy the tracks tp iCloud Drive.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 10:42 AM in response to JimWNC

JimWNC wrote:

There really isn't a process for this.

If the music is purchased from iTunes, there is no need to back up, as your purchase history will allow you to download the music at any point in the future.

If it's CD based, you can copy the tracks tp iCloud Drive.

Apr 26, 2020 1:51 PM in response to JimWNC

All I want is dependable simplicity (aka "it just works"). I suppose Apple will eventually become primarily an iPhone company with lots of emoji updates.

And iCloud may very well be that solution. if you would simply participate in getting clarity.

Your iPad got its music from either iTunes purchases or your own music files stored on a Mac or PC and synced using the iTunes application. You have not used Apple Music.

If you would just tell us whether that music is on a Mac or a PC, we can help you.

Your perception is that iCloud is complicated when it is not. I don't advocate storing your music on iCloud Drive but there is nothing stopping you from doing just that.

Tens of millions of iCloud users are able to upgrade and downgrade their iCloud storage without issue. JazzielArrovo is having an isolated issue that does not mean iCloud's design is flawed.

Why have you failed to answer the questions asked of you?

Apr 25, 2020 4:26 PM in response to LACAllen

I may not have been clear. I'm trying to store a copy of my music library in iCloud. I have 210GB of music files and 2TB of iCloud space. I'm using both a 2020 iPad Pro (iOS 13.4.1) and a 2016 MacBook (OS 10.15.4). All I wish to do is drag my music folder (or cut and paste), probably from the MacBook into the cloud for safe keeping. It will be a static backup. I'm not downloading music from it. Similar to achiving old, but important documents.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Apr 25, 2020 4:54 PM in response to JimWNC

I really DO NOT recommend you to use ICLOUD storage plans to do so!!

Its imposible to downgrade, it says you have no more space available, you can spend and eternity erasing and then the iCloud tells you it is downgraded and next month they charge again!!

I have been like this for 4 months so far!!

then you click on your iCloud, then storage plan and it never opens! its like if there is no option to downgrade, its soooo complicated.

Apr 26, 2020 12:05 PM in response to JazzielArroyo

Thanks for the advice. I used Dropbox for years until it became overly complicated. It was an extremely simple "drag and drop" file program and a great place to link to my iTunes music library from, thus saving critical space on the Mac hard drive. Like Apple apps, their product kept having additional features added to the detriment of quick and easy. I think the applications market is so tight that companies have to constantly add features to remain competitive. All I want is dependable simplicity (aka "it just works"). I suppose Apple will eventually become primarily an iPhone company with lots of emoji updates.

Apr 27, 2020 8:51 PM in response to LACAllen

Thought I covered most of that that earlier in the thread. I'm using Safari as my browser. I have a 2016 MacBook that contains my 220GB music library. I also copied that music library via a USB-C cable to a new iPad Pro. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the metadata on the music files beforehand. I don't know which outside company plugs that data in, but it's often incorrect. I don't use iTunes Match (the seemingly simplest solution) because it goes through my music files and incorrectly changes data, including album art! I've subscribed twice over the past several years and it continues to function poorly. I have to assume that the point is to steer folks to an Apple Music subscription.

I decided that along with my external SSD back up, I would like to use my recently purchased 2TB iCloud storage for a redundant/emergency music backup. I wasn't sure how to do so since everything I read from Apple was from previous OS releases showing outdated pictures and steps. I didn't want to mess something up in the process.

If I can simply drag (and then periodically delete and replace) my music folder into iCloud, my problem would be solved. If there is a way to have it automatically sync from the MacBook (or iPad Pro) like an updated Pages document, then all the better! Thank you.

Storing iPad music library in iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.