Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1 charges to 100% then immediately loses charge

I have not used my Apple pencil in many months. When I took it out to do some sketching, I realized that it was not charged. So, I plugged it into my 9.5" iPad pro and let it get some juice. Once the battery was charged to 100%, I pulled the pencil out of the iPad, excited to use the pencil. It did not work, however. When I plugged it back into the iPad pro, I got a warning that pencil's battery was low. So, I charged it again. And again, the charge did not keep. I repeated the process several times. I also repaired the Apple pencil and my iPad pro and rebooted the iPad.

Is there anything -- but buy a new Apple pencil -- that I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 12:16 PM

Thank you, QuickPost, for the help.

This is a painful lesson for me. A teacher, I pulled out my rarely used Apple Pencil (which I purchased in May 2017) because of the need to move to online instruction. Now, I have to purchase a new pencil and wait.

I'm disappointed that Apple did not make it clearer that I needed to maintain the pencil's charge or lose it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 12:16 PM in response to QuickPost

Thank you, QuickPost, for the help.

This is a painful lesson for me. A teacher, I pulled out my rarely used Apple Pencil (which I purchased in May 2017) because of the need to move to online instruction. Now, I have to purchase a new pencil and wait.

I'm disappointed that Apple did not make it clearer that I needed to maintain the pencil's charge or lose it.

Apr 25, 2020 10:10 AM in response to DDA_94705

Hello,

If Apple Pencil’s battery sits depleted for an extended amount of time then it will essentially ruin the battery preventing it from ever holding a charge which makes the Apple Pencil useless. Apple Pencil has a 1 year warranty (when purchased from Apple) which means that Apple will most likely replace it if the battery has failed.

Please refer to the following Apple Support document on how to troubleshoot Apple Pencil.

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Contact AppleCare

Apr 26, 2020 4:12 AM in response to DDA_94705

You cannot store Apple Pencils for any prolonged period of time and NOT keep them charged up to some level.

If your Apple Pencil/s sat around unused or unopened and not kept charged up for more than a few weeks, or so, OR

LONGER, then the battery in your Apple Pencil may have failed and is dead and you will have to purchase another

brand new Apple Pencil or get, if still under warranty, a free replacement Pencil from Apple.

Sorry.

And it looks like some things about the Apple Pencil have NOT changed in the new version 2 model, either.

FYI and something Apple will never divulges to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about.

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-

ion battery ( smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil ), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

Apple only has a one-year warranty on any Apple accessory items.

You need to keep your Apple Pencil charged all the time, even if it is only to 10%-15% charge. It must keep some charge level in that tiny Lithium-ion battery at all times!

Sorry and Best of Luck to You!

Apple Pencil 1 charges to 100% then immediately loses charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.