Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing iMovie from App Store on High Sierra 10.13.6

I've been running my Mac desktop for many years and having updated to High Sierra 10.13.6, believe it is as up to data as it possibly can be. I've just been introduced to using iMovie using my iPhone7 and finding the phone version fiddly, would like to be able to use my desktop to edit clips. Problem is that iMovie is not installed on my machine already and when I try to download it from the App Store, it tells me I need Mac OS 10.14.6 or later. I'm really confused what next to do. Please can anyone help advise?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:47 AM

Hi, pe13,

Had iMovie 10 ever been on your computer, but possibly got deleted? If so, you can still update it to the most current version that your operating system can run, although it will not be the most current version. If that is your situation, I can post back with the procedure. However, if you had never had iMovie 10 on your computer before, then you will not be able to obtain it unless you can update at least to Mojave 10.14.6.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 10:47 AM in response to pe13

Hi, pe13,

Had iMovie 10 ever been on your computer, but possibly got deleted? If so, you can still update it to the most current version that your operating system can run, although it will not be the most current version. If that is your situation, I can post back with the procedure. However, if you had never had iMovie 10 on your computer before, then you will not be able to obtain it unless you can update at least to Mojave 10.14.6.

-- Rich

Apr 26, 2020 2:16 PM in response to Rich839

Hello and thank you for your response. The Mac came with Yosemite installed on it and I believe it may have had iMovie installed. After a year or so of use the IOS was reinstalled since the computer had slowed down and we have updated IOS to keep current since then. Not sure whether or not it had iMovie on after reinstallation.

I’ve looked to update to Mojave however under updates in App Store, it says I’m all up to date. As a lifelong PC user adjusting to using Mac, I’m really struggling to fathom how Apple works.

Apr 26, 2020 3:31 PM in response to pe13

Check your Applications folder to see if iMovie 10 is in there. If it is, you are good to go.

If iMovie 10 is not in your Applications folder, possibly it was on your computer when you had Yosemite, and then should be above to redownload it. Try this procedure and see:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your

iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before,

but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by

clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see

your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from

there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you

moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Apr 28, 2020 1:37 PM in response to Rich839

Hello Rich and thank you for your latest advice. iMovie was not to be found in my applications folder so I assume I may never have had it in the first place. As you suggested earlier, I've updated my MacOS and installed Catalina so have successfully downloaded iMovie to my machine. All sorted, THANK YOU for your help and greatly appreciated!

Installing iMovie from App Store on High Sierra 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.