Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos upload to iCloud is very slow (1 photo per minute) - is there any way to speed it up?

I have a photo archive with 350,000 photos. I recently upgraded my iCloud account so I can store them all in Photos, and started loading photos. I have loaded the first 100,000 into Photos, and it is taking forever. Some observations:

• photoanalysisd and photolibraryd ran (off and on) for about 4 days (CPU utilization in Activity Monitor was dominated by these two services and totaled about 50% this whole time - that's 1/4 of total available CPU)
  • During this time, photo upload was about 1 per minute (Network activity in Activity Monitor jumped to 1MB/sec for a couple of seconds, then dropped to 0 or near zero for the rest of the minute). After the first day I turned iCloud off, since that seemed to make these services unstable.
  • once I babied photoanalysisd and photolibraryd to the point that they won't run anymore, I'm getting sustained uploads in the 500-900KB/s range. I have 750GB of photos; this will take about 10 days at this rate, for 14 days total.

First question: photoanalysisd and photolibraryd seem super finicky; the only way I found to get them to run (as evidenced in CPU utilization in Activity Monitor) was to turn off iCloud for Photos, reboot my Mac, open *only* Activity Monitor and Photos, then disable sleep. This would get them to run for a day or so at a time, then I'd have to reboot to get them to start again. Photos itself showed a progress bar stuck in the middle and flashed its "Analyzing / Optimizing / Whatever" message this whole time. Is there a way to tell these services to please use all of the CPU to speed the process up?

Second question: is the slow upload speed expected, and is there any way to speed it up? I have FIOS, and my network readily supports 15MB/sec uploads (that's what I got when I made the backup). My computer is plugged into wired ethernet, so WiFi isn't an issue. Having to baby this process along means I don't want to use my machine for anything else, and not using it for two weeks is ... problematic.

System:

• macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • Processor: 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 10:01 AM

When I have to upload my library to iCloud it needs roughly ten days with a fast internet connection. My library has a size of 53000 photos and videos, only 240GB of storage.

When Photos is uploading the library, it is not just doing the upload, it is merging the library into the existing iCloud Photos Library - checking for duplicates and solving conflicts between duplicate items. The larger the library, the longer the overhead for merging the library into the existing library will be.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2020 10:01 AM in response to nbateshaus

When I have to upload my library to iCloud it needs roughly ten days with a fast internet connection. My library has a size of 53000 photos and videos, only 240GB of storage.

When Photos is uploading the library, it is not just doing the upload, it is merging the library into the existing iCloud Photos Library - checking for duplicates and solving conflicts between duplicate items. The larger the library, the longer the overhead for merging the library into the existing library will be.

Photos upload to iCloud is very slow (1 photo per minute) - is there any way to speed it up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.