Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone SE gets heated up heavily under the camera

New iPhone SE unboxed and started configuring , but it gets heated up heavily under the camera.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 7:47 AM

112 replies

Jul 5, 2020 8:50 PM in response to Amarnath J

its not just charging I notice it heats up, VERY VERY HOT when I watch a you 1-2 tube videos, or using IG live TV, sometimes using certain games, it got so hot I could have it next to my ear when I got a phone call, had to stop using it for 10 minutes- the. It returns to normal, might be a larger issue; really hope this is not an exploding phone situation . I’m hoping it’s just a bad batch, but I’m going to AT&T to discuss it tomorrow.

Apr 29, 2020 12:42 AM in response to Amarnath J

I thought I was the only one. So I just got my phone today. I was restoring a backup, so I had the cable connected. The phone began to overheat excessively on the backside underneath the camera. My right index finger definitely felt it. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue. I wish I had a thermal reader, because the felt hotter than my old iPhone 6.

Sep 4, 2020 7:00 AM in response to uukwwevy

New iPhones, new designs, new CPUs.

Yes, you've had iPhones before, but none packing as much processing power into such a small space,

You can overtax any CPU, no matter how powerful, but I don't see where anyone is saying it's overtaxed at all.

"Overheating" is a specific condition; do you get the message that your iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it? If not, it's not overheating:

Ultimately there is only one source that can say if what you are seeing is within normal limits: Apple Support.

If they feel there is an issue, they will address it; if they feel it is normal, it is normal.

They have access to the design specs and to the people who designed and built it; you do not.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Jul 10, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Amarnath J

Hello,

In this condition you need or require to make the phone temperature down by placing phone in to some cooler atmosphere.

If you are using any type of iphone cover or case then remove that cover until it get cooler down.

To know that your iphone contains some major problem or not then you can check that by getting notification of over temperature or iphone needs to be cooled down. If you get this notification then your iphone is in problem.

You can try another way as open iphone camera and try to turn on the Flash light and capture image. If iphone says “iphone need to be cooled down to use the flash light” then you have to turn off your device and wait till the temperature gets down.

Else:

You have to check your battery optimisation

you can get more details about from the Official link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

Sep 4, 2020 7:07 PM in response to uukwwevy

I'm just a user like you, it's not my place to endorse or not endorse a product, but I will comment when I see disingenuous comments calling the phone "dangerous."

The only way to get support from Apple is to contact Apple Support directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

If you believe this is a software issue, that is also the best way to get Apple's attention.

As I've also said before, the decision as to whether to sell it or not is a decision only you can make depending upon your needs, but it's never a good idea to buy or keep a product based on how you think it might behave someday, whether from Apple, Google, Samsung or anyone else.

Sep 13, 2020 10:25 PM in response to Amarnath J

Hi, it's normal for the phone to get warm when using apps which are heavy on resources or when charging the phone.

You can check this: Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

You can also restore the phone as new:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

If the issue persists, you can bring your phone to the Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service provider. You can book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app.

May 1, 2020 10:49 PM in response to andrearenay

I just tried changing my 10W wall adapter to a 5W wall adapter and it is not heating! I’m not sure if you are already using a 5W, but I thought this info could be useful!

btw, the 5W is the little box one that comes with every iPhone. I had a 10W from my iPad. Clearly, a 10W overheats an iPhone and should only be used for an iPad. I hope I don’t have any more problems with this brand new phone overheating.

May 28, 2020 3:41 PM in response to Amarnath J

It is definitely an issue on this phone. I haven't experienced overheating while charging, but with using it normally. I received it almost three weeks ago, and it overheat after 30 min of use (I was using mainly the app Clips, that comes preinstalled in the phone and I updated it). After conversations with the support center, I asked for a substitution of the phone. I received the new one yesterday and checked that it happens again, with Clips. Now, while I was doing a security copy of my chats at Whatssapp, and sending it to iCloud, it overheat extremely. The copy took just a couple of minutes, because there was little to copy, but the temperature got so high in the camera area that it is uncomfortable to hold it. It is my first iPhone after been using Android all the time and so far, really disappointed with the purchase.

Jun 4, 2020 5:03 PM in response to Amarnath J

Weird I don’t have any of the problems y’all are having. Mines only overheats( I don’t get the warning though) when I play game and only because I’m stupid and use HFR. With it off my phone is just warm. It does get a little warm when charging, but nothing to worry about. I cannot confirm that the batter drains fast.... at least not for me.

Jun 7, 2020 7:02 AM in response to Amarnath J

🙋‍♂️I got my iPhone SE 2020 for my birthday on May 21 this year. It was working fine until today. I was doing multiple pictures airdrop w/my bro and my SE was heating up fast. I stopped doing the airdrop and closed all my opened apps. The heat went down fast. Then, I plugged my phone to charge and updated software to iOS 13.5.1. During the process, the heat didn't come back despite charging the phone and updating software. I assumed that the overheat came from either airdrop process or multiple opened apps.🤸‍♂️🏄‍♂️🏂

New iPhone SE gets heated up heavily under the camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.