Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain not working - logged out of everything after restart

Hi all. I had a problem about a week ago when I restarted my computer, and suddenly I was having an error message pop up when I tried to sign in to iMessage. I spent about an hour on the phone with apple care, and we messed around a bit: deleted some items from the keychain, restarted a few more times, and eventually it mysteriously decided to allow me to sign in. Note that we specifically did NOT clear my whole keychain, just deleted a few specific items (I can't recall exactly what, sorry). But afterwards, I found that I'd been logged out of every website, and none of my passwords were remembered. Every time I signed back into anything, I was asked if keychain should remember this password, and I always clicked yes. So they should have all been saved, even if they were somehow erased the first time.

Today I restarted my computer, and the error came back with iMessage. So I went into keychain and just deleted just iMessage, restarted again, and it decided to work. Idk. And yet all of a sudden I've been logged out of every single website all over again and none of my passwords are remembered. And when I open keychain access, it looks like it has a whole list of sites and things still in it. But it's not prompting any of the passwords or anything for any website I try. I suppose this isn't that big of a deal, but it is honestly a pain in the *** that I apparently have to now manually login to every account I've ever used on the internet (I've definitely lost a few passwords and have had to reset so many in the past week, the first time I went through this), and that this will happen now every time I restart my computer, apparently??

I feel like there's a disconnect between my keychain, which has all these things saved, and actually recognizing them and applying them. I use google chrome, if that's relevant. Any idea how to fix? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 1:05 PM

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide

Repair Keychain in El Capitan or Sierra

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)
  2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.
  3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.
  4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"
  5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"
  6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting "New Keychain"
  7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then  going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Keychain Access in El Capitan

If you are frequently being prompted to re-enter your keychain password, you will find that the fix described for pre-El Capitan systems ha changed. Please follow this procedure instead:

Copy this text to your clipboard: com.apple.scopedbookmarksagent.xpc. Open Keychain Access that is located in your Utilities folder. In the search field of Keychain Access’ window paste the above text.

A window will appear with a login password item selected. Click on the Delete key. Click on the Delete button in the panel to confirm your deletion.

Quit Keychain Access and see if the prompts stop.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 1:05 PM in response to evassallo

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide

Repair Keychain in El Capitan or Sierra

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)
  2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.
  3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.
  4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"
  5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"
  6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting "New Keychain"
  7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then  going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Keychain Access in El Capitan

If you are frequently being prompted to re-enter your keychain password, you will find that the fix described for pre-El Capitan systems ha changed. Please follow this procedure instead:

Copy this text to your clipboard: com.apple.scopedbookmarksagent.xpc. Open Keychain Access that is located in your Utilities folder. In the search field of Keychain Access’ window paste the above text.

A window will appear with a login password item selected. Click on the Delete key. Click on the Delete button in the panel to confirm your deletion.

Quit Keychain Access and see if the prompts stop.

Keychain not working - logged out of everything after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.